How/why did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jan 23, 2009.

1. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    I started in 6th grade. It was either chorus or band, and I chose band. We had a list of instruments and had to pick one. My mom talked me out of clarinet (Not that many boys play clarinet.), drums (Do you really want to play a bell kit?), and tuba (Do you really want to handle an instrument that big?). Those weak arguments led me to the trumpet. Now I am a music major at the University of Tennessee and a huge drum corps fan. I think my mom had a hidden agenda because it's also her fault I love drum corps so much, but hey there are worse addictions lol.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I inherited my grandfathers horn. We had a decent band program in school. My first instructor was a clarinet teacher and in the 6th grade I had just about quit. A new teacher came and a fire was lit - so strong that it still shines brightly today - 40 years later.

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    My mother just LOVED old Satchmo (still does; she´s celebrating her 91:th birthday todat actually, and YES, I´ve called her to congratulate her . . .)!

At my 11:th birthday I got my first trumpet. I soon started playing the jazz tunes by ear.

4. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    I was a bit of a late starter....I started learning when I was 15 as part of the 'Duke of Edinburgh award'. I had an old trumpet around the house and that decided which instrument to play. I only found out after that my estranged grandfather was a trumpet player who had his own big band in the UK after I started learning.

5. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    I started in 7th grade in Junior High. My first choice was percussion, but the band director preferred to pick kids who had been taking piano lessons for the percussion spots. Trumpet was my second choice, because they appeared to have more fun playing and got a lot of lead parts when the Junior High band played at my grade school. I started out on an old Bundy (which I still have), and played it all the way through high school. I was good enough to have played in college, but decided to give it up because I didn't have time to commit to it and work/go to school.

10 years after graduating high school, I'm back into playing again with the Anchorage Community Concert Band. And it's every bit as fun as it was back then.

6. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    When I was 11 was very shy and though women would love a trumpeter rather than a very good student...

7. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Hmm. I've always been a fan of the cornet. I got my first one when I was about 10 or so--an old Getzen 300-series. It sounded great, but promptly desoldered itself to pieces. I then talked my parents into getting me a better cornet for my 13th birthday. I played a bunch of old cornets at a music store and the best of the bunch was an Olds Ambassador. I made it mine and loved it for 25 years, selling it just last year to a co-worker so his kid would have something decent to play.

I always played bass instruments in the school bands--first the bass clarinet, then the tuba, along with the electric bass in jazz band. The cornet gave me something handy to noodle around with to work on playing melodies. It was a great artistic outlet for me, and a nice relief from all the oom-pah stuff. My best friend was a trumpeter, and I used to play second with him on all sorts of duets. He loved my Ambassador cornet and we sometimes traded horns for a few days.

My first trumpet, a Besson BE709, should arrive via UPS this week along with a Schilke 20d2d 'piece. My current ensemble is working up some Texas swing material and it just cries out for a trumpet. I can't wait for the horn to get here--it's going to be so much fun!

8. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    My father played trumpet/cornet when he was in high school.

(circa, 1944)
    [​IMG]

So, it was kinda natural that I wanted to emulate him. Plus, listening to and falling in love with all of his Rafael Mendez and Harry James records when I was just a small kid also planted the seed.

I started in 4th grade and played throughout high school myself.

(circa, 1968)
    [​IMG]

I dabbled off and on throughout the years, but didn't make a true "comeback" until three years ago when I put together an 8-piece oldies band made up of fellow (geezer) Federal law enforcement types where I work.

[​IMG]

My Dad passed away this past October. Sadly and ironically, we were playing a gig on the other side of the country at the exact time of his passing.

I'm sure he must've heard me playing for him . . . .

9. ADDER

ADDER Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    London UK
    I started playing the Cornet at age 13 (about 1974) and was doing quite well untill one day a friend of mine decided to play me his latest album he'd bought, It was 'Live in Japan' by Deep Purple... Cornet went and a Fender Strat came in... Never did become the next Ritchie Blackmore though. Started playing the Trumpet again about 9 months ago and I'm really enjoying it.

10. k_macari

k_macari New Friend

Jan 24, 2009
    UK
    Children in scottish schools are given an aural test aged 10 and people with high marks get given an instrument to learn, so thats how I started - through no choice of my own!

Aged 14 I joined a youth jazz orchestra and never looked back - after 4 years, I started tutoring that orchestra and now I study jazz at a UK conservatoire.