How/why did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jan 23, 2009.

1. pader

pader New Friend

Jan 24, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    When I was 9, my mother declared that I had music in my soul and took me to a music store and said make a choice. We walked out with a Buescher True Tone trumpet and she marched me down to my grade school and put me into "Beginning Band". It stuck, so here I am! Played that Buescher until I went into the Navy.

2. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I wanted to play bass in the school's band, but there were already 2 guys who knew how to play, so I chose trumpet because I could use it to play in a rock band, as opposed to the clarinet. The band director was also a trumpet player, which helped.

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Trombone seemed tough to find the note in tune; no marks like a guitar fret board. Sax,..... didn't care for the sound. Mom had some Herb Alpert records with some sexy girls embracing him on the covers, so I got to thinkin'........:roll:

4. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl

Wow, this is actually very similar to my story. Well, the first part anyway...

I first started playing back when I was in middle school (6th grade, 12 years old). Originally, I was almost dead set on playing trombone (may the insults and wise cracks begin!). There was just something about it that I found amazing. It was just so unique, and I loved how powerful and majestic it sounded. But, I was also considering trumpet and baritone. When push came to shove, I ended up picking the trumpet due to the smaller case being more practical for me to carry back and forth from home and school.

I started playing on a Yamaha student cornet. But, in sixth grade I was the laughing stock of my middle school band. I wasn't very good, and I almost always chocked during chair tests due to being nervous. But, as I got older, I learned from my mistakes, and I started to practice much more. Then, I started to get much better. By, the time I was in 8th grade, I was second chair trumpet, taking care of business on first part. I did enjoy playing as a hobby when I first started. But, I wasn't passionate about it at first.

However, during my early teen years, things started to take a turn for the worst in my life. I felt so emotionally lost and had no direction with what I wanted to do in my life. I was generally a "Lone Wolf" type of person, mainly due to the fact that I couldn't stand many of my fellow students who were the same age. So, I started associating myself with fellow "outsiders". I delved deeper and deeper into my own anger, rage, frustration, depression and despair. I felt completely helpless, I felt like my life had no importance and significance. I was a lone ship lost in the middle of a violent storm at sea.

Then, right when I thought my life was going down the tubes. Something magnificent happened to me...

I truly found God for the very first time, and words couldn't describe how much that changed me. I was raised in a very religious family, but, I had a hard time accepting it. I felt like it was being forced on me as a child, and I didn't even understand what it was really all about. Then, when I started to mature into my teen years, I began to think that it was all a bunch of bull. I became very skeptical, and was almost an atheist. I felt like the fundamental elements of Christianity were very unrealistic, and didn't do you much good in the real world. But, when I was 16, I found God on my own terms for the very first time. Then, I realized who I truly was on the inside. Needless to say, I finally found peace within myself, and my self esteem grew.

At the same time, my passion for trumpet playing and music began to grow. I really began to get good, and I finally started to feel like my life had meaning and purpose. When I was a sophomore in high school, I joined the marching band, and made a whole lot of new friends. By the end of my sophomore year in high school, there was no doubt in my mind that music was going to be a big part in my life. Now, I'm an ambitious 20 year old college student looking to make music my career. I felt like I've come a long way in my life. I know in my heart that God and music saved my life. It may sound ridiculous, but, there is no doubt that my life was saved by music. Had it not been for me finding God and finding my true love in music, then, I honestly don't know where I'd be...

-Tom. :cool:

5. OXavier96

OXavier96 New Friend

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    My older brother brought home a cornet when I was in 4th grade, he was in hs, and I was facinated by it. I had heard stories of how my other two older siblings played various instruments in school and knew I had to continue the trend. So I would sneak my brothers cornet every chance I got and fiddle with it. Luckily he was more interested and better at football than music or he would've pounded me for messing with.

Anyway fast forward two years and I"m in 6th grade. This was the first time I went to a school that offered music. I was so excited. I met the teacher and he had the entire class write down their top 3 choices of instruments. Of course cornet was first, but being the shy and very soft spoken child I was I allowed myself to be strapped with a baritone horn. I had never heard of one and being about 4 1/2 feet tall at the time the case was larger than I. But I gave it my all being thankful just to be able to participate in something as magical as music and in a short time I became very good and built a great relationship with my instructor. And wouldn't you know it, as my skill level increased so did my self confidence and self esteem.

Finally by the end of my 7th grade year I went to Mr. A and just about demanded, with my newly found confidence, to play trumpet next year. Mr A being a trumpet player himself told me that I seemed more like a trumpet player now and agreed. I didn't get that for a long time. Well long story longer, that's how I started playing trumpet. The trumpet was more of a conclusion of one journey than the beginning of another.

6. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    My older cousin played the trumpet, so when it came time to do band in elementry school I of course chose the trumpet. I played a Conn beginner's trumpet (not sure on the model) until my senior year of high school when I got my Bach 37. A lot of kids dropped out along the way, but I didn't play sports nor did I care that playing in band was "nerdy". I didn't REALLY get into it until our new band director my senior year started a jazz band class. To be honest, we oftentimes didn't get along b/c I was in a bit of a rebelious stage due to depression and not fitting in at my school. But because of him and his jazz band I went on to play in junior college, and probably would not be playing today if it wasn't for Todd Hollis at August Senior High (Augusta, KS).

7. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Friend

Jul 23, 2005
    Wetaskiwin, Alta, Canada
    I always remember my father playing from as far back as I can remember. He played in church, at weddings, Christmas for singalongs, etc, and I always wanted to play that instrument. My first one was his straight mute and a spare mouthpiece! ;) After that I graduated to a plastic toy horn (he got sick of me denting his mute), and I got a real horn (student Yamaha) when I started trumpet lessons at 11. I kept having fun playing it and by the time I got to grade 11 I had figured out that this was how I wanted to make my way in the world. So far so good (20 years on)!

Doug

8. bobmiller1969

bobmiller1969 Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2008
    Mays Landing, New Jersey
    My Dad was a high school band director. He brought home an old cornet that the school decided to throw away with the intention of making a lamp out of it. I was in 2nd grade at the time and asked him if I could try it. I don't know what became of that horn, but I still owe him a lamp.

9. Melodious Thunk

Melodious Thunk Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    I started playing a couple of weeks ago! I've played guitar professionally for a few years in a touring "rock" band, but have always loved jazz and horn players. Lately I have grown tiered of the whole rock band and touring thing. I've decided that if I am going to play music, that it's gonna be for my enjoyment, and not for a paycheck (although I'd could see myself playing out in a few years (for fun!)). So I am starting from scratch on the trumpet... I don't know how to read music, but would like to learn and become more educated in music as a whole. The main reason I picked trumpet, is 'cuz I had one lying around! So it was much cheaper than buying and re-padding a sax!... plus I love the sound!

10. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    My Da always listened to Louis Armstrong , so When the local town band advertised for new young members as there weren't too many old ones left, my Da marched my brothers , sister and me down there and signed us up , where we spent most of our teenage years playing music and making friends, happy days.