How/why did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jan 23, 2009.

1. Alan Dismukes

Alan Dismukes Piano User

Oct 16, 2007
    Alabama
    I started playing in school band in the 5th grade. I began on my grandfather's Buescher cornet, being the third generation to play on this horn as my mother had played it in her high school band days. Later in that first year I switched to a Sears Silvertone trumpet (which in hindsight was a big step backward, horn-wise). In the 9th grade I became the first trumpet player in my school to upgrade to a pro horn and got my Strad. Played regularly until graduating from college. Became a serious comebacker a little over a year ago and love playing more than ever.:thumbsup:

2. Tootler

Tootler New Friend

Oct 10, 2008
    Ottawa
    What a long way to think back :-)

I started as a 12 year old in grade nine. The options were glee club or band; I can't sing. We had to pick three instruments as choices; one brass, one reed and one of any other kind. I picked trumpet, clarinet and french horn, not for any particular reason but because they were instruments I could at least recognize. I was given the trumpet.

Years later I asked the band teacher why he'd given me the trumpet. He said I was the only girl who asked for it and he wanted to see what happenned LOL Forty-two years later I'm still playing....best copice he could have made for me.

Terri

3. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wow, great question.

I picked the trumpet because I knew my dad had played it in H.S.. When I was growing up my dad was not around, so I thought it would give me a connection with him somehow. Thats why I picked it, I stayed with it because of the power of the instrument.

There is nothing like a peice heavy on the brass, then it just got in the blood.

4. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    I played trombone in high school and toyed with a trumpet borrowed from a chaplain while in the army. I eventually bought a Getzen Capri and played for several years before putting the horn away--no opportunity to play. Several years later our choir director wanted some trumpet / cornet players--I found a Selmer Signet in a pawn shop in Caribou, ME and played it a couple times a year for about 15 years. In 94 I had an opportunity to join a praise band that played every week. In 2000 I traded my cornet for a trumpet--Blessing XL (not a very good horn), eventually moving up to an ML-1 (better but still not REAL good), then to a Jupiter 1200S (not bad), and finally to a Sonare (I really like). Along the way I finally took some lessons from several pros. Since 94 I've played almost every day.

5. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I wanted to play Saprano Sax but the school did not use them since the clairanet did most of what you would use a Saprano sax for at least that was the story I got. I was decent at all the brass instruments and at the percusion instrument's. Since the school needed trumpet player's desperately and I like the sound the trumpet the best out all the brass instruments I went that direction. It did not hurt that my band teacher after looking at my teeth,jaw and lips etc.... all but begged me to play the trumpet! I ended up being her goto boy when ever she needed someone . So later on I ended up playing baritone and tuba onthe school's dime when ever we lost a player in those area's until another kid would arrive at the school tha played bariton or tuba. Not a lot of people play low brass so some times I would end up playing those for 3-6 months at a time before I got to go back to second chair trumpet.Dad was inthe Army so kids where always comeing and going from all over the place.

I will say that I almost chose the clairanet but at the last minute I just thought it was too girly since at the age of 10 or so I was ignorant of people like Benny Goodman etc...Hard to get more manlyor regal then the trumpet!

6. TrumpetPower

TrumpetPower New Friend

Jan 23, 2009
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I didn't pick the trumpet, it picked me. Actually it was a cornet that picked me. I started in 6th grade, and my only reason for joining the band was it was a free way to escape class on Fridays. I originally wanted to play the sax, but my mom couldn't afford it. Luckily, my uncles had an old cornet they had passed around from their childhood and it got passed into my hands. Fortunately I was pretty good at it, according to my mom I "picked it up and tooted right away". Got my first trumpet (Conn 1000b) a year later after the director urged my mom to get me something better than the cornet.

you guys should of seen this old cornet I started on, it was utterly disgusting. The mouthpiece was jammed in it from 30 years before I got it. It was a mess, but she played and it was enough to spark the fire that still burns today.

7. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I was ending my freshman year in high school when I was offered free lessons by the band director. I've been playing viola for 6 years and I thought a brass instrument would be fun. Since then viola comes second over trumpet. I can never thank my director enough.

8. DDLips

DDLips New Friend

May 29, 2007
    As a Navy Veteran I serve on a Military Funeral Honors Team in the county I live in. Just firing the rifle and folding the American flag didn't seem like enough. So 2 years ago I bought a Beuscher Trumpet off E Bay for $52 to see if I had any talent for the instrument. I wanted to contribute to the team by learning the bugle calls and sounding them for the services. It is going pretty well. I am learning to play other stuff as well not just the bugle calls. I have taken some lessons and learn alot on this and other web sites, also books and other learning materials. The internet is amazing.

Also, I originally sounded pretty bad so my User Name stands for "Dying Duck Lips" but now I need to change my name but can't some up with anything cool. Maybe you guys and gals out there can assist me with some ideas.

I did tell the chaplain on our team that I WILL NOT do his job on the team. He is safe in his position!! It is a great group of people on this team, I am honored to be a part of it. If there is such a team in your neck of the woods it is a great way to give back so to speak.

Thanks in advance for those new name ideas.

Karen

9. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    DDLips, since your getting better , here's one ( Dynamic Duck Lips )

10. Melodious Thunk

Melodious Thunk Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    :-)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009