How/why did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jan 23, 2009.

1. DivineWind

DivineWind New Friend

Jan 17, 2009
    Barring some undue influence......I would think that the motivation to learn to play any instrument proceeds from an appreciation for the sound it makes, and....where most are satisfied to LISTEN to others make the sound(s) they like....some have the desire to make it THEMSELVES....

The Creation is vibrations, at a full spectrum of frequencies...from the most-microcosmic/sub-atomic level to the most-macro, the pulse of the universe... We, the created, desperately seek to connect to the Divine, and musical-vibrations are one way.

Don't just 'play'.....CONNECT!

2. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    DivineWind, I think your right the sound is what drove me to pick the trumpet after my father introduced me to the sound of Louis Armstrong , the sound , I'm happy to play a nice rounded C in the cleff and feel satisfied .

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I agree 100% with DivineWind. Vibrations is us.

I began trumpet in 4th grade, in Palo Alto CA. Having all female siblings was a factor, because trumpet helped me to further distinguish myself from them. After 7th grade I switched to the french horn; my Dad loved them and I guess it was important to me to please him. Playing left-handed was very difficult, and that, combined with all the other issues an adolescent faces, kept me from progressing much and got me the last chair in the band.

After HS I foundered, giving up brass, college, and most of what I was raised on. A stint in the USN followed, and after that the foundering continued. Driven by some musical force instilled in me by my parents I learned to play guitar, self-taught myself on the piano, these musical endeavors keeping me afloat through much personal struggle.

Shortly before I finally began to get a handle on life, I went back to the trumpet at the age of 59. It was instrumental (ha) in my getting my two feet on the ground at last. Nearly three years later I play every out opportunity I get. Not for money, but for the love of it. I will never be a great player, but in my entire life I have never been so happy, and the trumpet is one big reason why.
    veery

4. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    I started much later in life than most. I was a former trombone player and the girl I was dating went to nursing homes with other students from her college. They were looking for someone to play music so one of the students started bringing his trombone. I would have gotten a trombone but I was in the army living in the barracks and a trombone seemed like a disaster waiting to happen. I went to Louisville, Ky and got a Getzen Capri trumpet--fit in my extra wall locker just fine. I already knew the fingering because I started my life as a trombone player playing an ugly black / green baritone in a Salvation Army band. I switched to bone to keep from turning my shirt and myself green from the worn baritone. That change from bone was 38 years ago. Now I play trumpet about 90% of the time but also double on trombone with a brass quintet and church orchestra.

5. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    Al Hirt!

6. Melodious Thunk

Melodious Thunk Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Makes me think of John Coltrane!

7. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    I started because i was influnced to play by my favourite trumpet player

* by the way how come i cant type in the box when i start a new thread?

8. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    :-o

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Click on the square with the A's in it in the upper right hand corner. Your cursor will be visible then.
    veery

10. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    When I was in elementary school they gave each person a "Tonette". At the end of the semester the music teacher invited those she thought were "competitent" enough to band night to see instrument selections. I was not impressed and passed.

The next year we went on a trip to Chicago to see my cousin at Northwestern and heard a concert by The Chicago Lyric Opera. Don Whitaker was 1st trumpet and played several solos. I got to meet him back stage with my cousin and fell in love with the trumpet. My parents got me a used Olds Cornet and I took lessons. During my sophmore year in high school I had worn the cornet out and my father found a Conn "B" customized trumpet that a professional ordered and did not pick up. I used it all through college and still play it off and on. I never regret all of those hours of practicing and hard work. Music is something that you can enjoy for the rest of your life and never out grow...it is universal.