How/why did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jan 23, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I know I've posted already, here; and I've read through all, and, I wish to point out the question from the original poster is how and why, not WHEN.

A "how" and a "why" all happen during a "when" so it IS hard to answer without the "WHEN" isn't it? And I ask "WHY ?", ....... I don't know.:dontknow:

If it doesn't matter "WHEN", the "WHY/HOW" must be the focus.

My brother became guitar crazy, WHY? He saw the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show when he was....oooops I said the when word!

Now, (which is a "when",DARN!!!!) I know I posted that Herb Alpert thing early on, (when?) but I've been thinkin about those really cool Warner Brothers cartoons I used to watch whe....:shhh: ..... Man, those orchestras were hot!!! Full of brass, too, and not afraid to hold back! Remember "On With The Show This Is It!"? The scores in Bugs Bunny cartoons were full of influence that many of us might not have considered, here, because we were so young watching them (when?) at a time in our young lives we may not have even yet known what a trumpet looked like. that's WHEN!:thumbsup:

2. killerjen231

killerjen231 New Friend

Mar 16, 2009
    CALI
    we start band in 5th grade here. i had always wanted to play music, and the trumpet seemed cool because it only had 2 pieces.

i never knew i would actually keep playing it for another 7 plus years so far.

louis armstron was my idol and i wanted to play as good as him, and i still want to get that good =]

3. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    I saw a couple movies on TV, one with Louie Armstrong and another with Danny Kay as Red Nichols and his five pennies. That made me want to play and then around junior high and high school, in the 70's, I heard Maynard and all those great players in the other big bands of Buddy Rich, Stan Kenton, Woody Herman, Louie Bellson, and I have been hooked ever since.

A funny story on that, one concert not too many years ago a bunch of us trumpet players in Seattle were at one of Maynard's shows at Jazz Alley, I asked Ed Sargent if he could get us all back at the same time to have a little hang with Maynard. Ed and Maynard were totally cool and so gracious. All of us were telling old stories of seeing Maynard and at one point some of us said he was the inspiration that kept us all playing all these years and with perfect comedic timing Lance Buller says sarcastically, "yeah you _____", and Maynard laughed his you know what off.

We all miss him, great player and a funny cat too.

4. TrumpetDude70

TrumpetDude70 New Friend

I come from a Brass Banding family so it was a given that I would join really. I guess my dad would be the earliest influence I had when I started playing aged 7. In my teens I moved to Soprano Cornet having seen Pete Roberts playing with Grimethorpe, it was the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard (and still is when I listen to his recordings today). I've only played trumpet for the last 5/6 years and having a ball playing in a Soul Band. I've been playing 32 years now and can't imagine life without either my Sop or my Trumpet.........

5. sayluvee

sayluvee New Friend

Mar 19, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I started playing when I was 10 years old - we had some sorta tone listening test which "fitted" us to the instrument that we could play - I remember it being very strange. So I really wanted to play tuba but THAT WAS NOT AN OPTION according to my test score which was like 38 (I hope that was good? or else what does that say about such a wonderful instrument) - so I was given the choice of cornet or flute (I am still trying to figure out how those two instrument are similiar enough to be based on a tone test score)? Since I really wanted to play tuba I figured cornet was close enough. So we went to some instrument fair thing and I got my cornet (I got a yahama 2310 with a 3c bach mouthpiece - no wonder I sounded like crap my first year) I remember choosing that one because the case was black and I wanted the black case instead of the brown color..... I was ten. So I got my cornet sounded like a dieing cow for about a year and then I guess I kinda grew into my mouthpiece because I shot from like last chair to 1st and then we moved to Wisconsin up north everyone played trumpet so I got my getzen eterna 900 (because my band director told me thats what uw madison used(junior high) which had a 7c mouthpiece so that kinda sucked because I was 13 and didn't really know anything about mouthpieces and my band director obviously didn't so I had really hard time and alot of embouchure problems and hurt to play - lucky that was the year I won a scholarship to "band camp" and they made some suggestions and helped talk my parents into private lessons with someone who actually knew something about the trumpet. So that was almost decades ago I still have my eterna and I am currently using a schlike 12a4a - and trying to break in a yahama bobby shew lead. I still have my cornet too....its in case in my basement and gets cleaned twice a year. So guess my why...would be because I got a 38 on my tone test score and then moved to Wisconsin nobody played cornet............that and a black case. I have dabbled in other brass instrument but its not some supposed to be good idea because it hurts your embouchure and I can never play any of them anywhere but my home because everyone always wants me to play trumpet.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    A friend in Grade 8 phoned me one day and said"Do you want to take trumpet lessons with me?" I started and carried on; he quit after a few months. Started on Olds Ambassador. Quit playing when I went to medical school and for many years thereafter. Got interested again about 20 years ago; got a good teacher and started from the beginning. Provides me with
    a fun hobby and relaxation. Best thing I ever did.:-)

7. gord4862

gord4862 New Friend

Nov 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    I started to play the trumpet when I was about 7 or 8. My father made me learn and taught me until classes started in grammer school. A 1930 22B Conn, silver plated.
    Little did he know he probably saved my life!
    I joined the Marines in 1969 and instead of going to "Nam" I played saprano in the 4th Marine Air Wing Drum and Bugle Team. I played
    quite a few funeral details back then.
    I just started playing again about 7 months ago. I feel like I met up with an old friend.

gord4862

8. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well I started way back in the 5th grade, The school system thought it costed to much money, and the year after I left 5th grade, 5th grade band was eliminated from the school system. So! I picked trumpet cause there were to many drummers already signed up. Then I got to middle school and it sucked beyond belief, everyone had braces, and we didnt like the band directors. So me and maybe 1/4 of the actual band went on to high school thinking well maybe itll be better, if not were quitting. When I personnally got there I was amazed at how hard individuals worked and how they loved it. I heard my section leader (the soloist that year) play and I saw him march, same with the other section leader. And I was like man I want to be like them. So I picked up private lessons that year, and kept practicing. Im a Sophmore this year, and our band director said im being moved up to 1st trumpet next year, in any year we have 20-30 trumpet players. our band is always between 160-200 kids every year. So yeah, thats the basic telling of my story. in 2 yrs I learned how to triple, fanfare, and double tongue, increased my range by a full octave up to high E above high C.

9. jacatani

jacatani New Friend

Mar 24, 2009
    I started playing the trumpet back in high-school in/around 1971-72. The only reason was because I loved Herb Alpert's music so much that I wanted to play just like him. I liked his mellow trumpet sound, it wasn't shrill to the ears. A friend of mine had a bunch of Tijuana Brass LPs (some were scratched), and we used to play along with Herb. Then we played in the School Band and almost won the music contest at the end of the year. We lost to the rock band, but our brass school band came in a cool second. While most kids our age (around 17) were hearing the Beatles, we were hearing and playing Herb Alpert. I had a Stadium trumpet (made in Czechoslovakia) that cost me $67 Cdn. dollars at the time. Recently, after having put it away for about 30 years or so, I got the sudden urge to start playing Herb Alpert music again. I believe his kind of music remains timeless, and he is truly one of the rare treasures this world has ever known. Long live Herb Alpert !!

10. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    I started in 5th grade and i kept at if ever since but I guess my inspiration was just somewhere inside. Also I think that because on the first day my band teacher told my I had a talent for trumpet.