How/why did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jan 23, 2009.

1. bogart

bogart New Friend

Mar 22, 2009
    Port Huron, Mich
    I Started playing in 8th grade. My parents bought me an old Olds Ambassador for 100 dollars. I listened to Louis Armstrong and knew what I wanted to play. There was a show on TV called the Mark of Jazz hosted by Stan Mark. he had Maynard Ferguson on it and that lit a fire for me. I joined the Air Force in 1976 after graduating and saved enough money for a Bach Stad. I sent my parents the money (596 dollars) and they shipped it to me in Italy.been playing since.

2. xelaris

xelaris New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    If I had the choice I would rather sing....but my voice isn't that good therefore the trumpet represent an extension of my singing ability which never materialized! (I got to overcome the unjustices of Nature).

In fact I've started playing trumpet only recently and I deeply regret not having started earlier in my life...mind you I play Sax (and Guitar and Piano too), but the trumpet seems to be more directly connected with the player much more interactive/involving.

It's minimalistic and streamlined modernism like the black and white of the 60's
    it's clean cool and clinically cold but with a warm soul.:stars:

3. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA
    Started playing my dad's old bugle and got hooked about age 10. Started lessons in 6th. grade, followed by band. Played a lot of garage band stuff in late 60's/early 70's...jazz ensemble in college and "beach music" when that hit. Originally put the horn down as girlfriend at the time was jealous of my time, (BAD move on my part). Got married, got job/career/ family...horn sat in closet for about 30 years with "occasional" coming out to clean/lube etc. Took it out, played...figured I ought to sell the thing so someone else could enjoy (old Benge)...but...just couldn't part with it.

Upon retirement (and another wife) I turned to her one day and said..."ya know, there's two things in life I wish I'd done more..." (being a guy, you should be able to figure out one of those)...the other was "make music"...so the Benge came out of the closet. Its now been joined by about 20 others (new & vintage)...and I love playing ALL of them, (just not simultaneously).

Dizzyizzy

4. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    I was 12 years old and I heard a recording of Rafael Mendez....that was it! Still playing and recording at age 60!!!!!:lol:

5. heulwen

heulwen New Friend

Apr 20, 2009
    Ipswich, UK
    My grandparents are both Eisteddfod winning musicans so I grew up around music. When I declared that I wanted to learn an instrument my mum bought me a recorder: frankly it just wasnt loud enough so I asked to learn Trombone (don't judge me!).

Well, being a weedy 4ft tall at the time it was a little big and the teacher suggested the trumpet to start me off. Well I got hooked and after 15 years i'm still playing. I've got through one cornet and three trumpets since I started as well as a stint on Euphonium (blame the braces). My current trumpet is the best instrument I've ever played - even over a 100+ yr old steinway grand and I hope to never have to replace it. :-)

6. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    I started because my parents knew that ocrestra wasn't in every school program so at first I was sad I didn't get to play the violin. So I decided to do band ,but our school didn't have french horns so I decided that trumpet was the next best thing.

7. Nikv

Nikv Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2009
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I got the inspiration to play trumpet when I saw Wynton Marsalis on Sesame Street, when I was 5.

I didn't start playing till I was almost 10.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This post made me cry out of joy! A truly touching story!

I started when I inherited my grandfathers cornet at age 10. It is an instrument that I still use on occasion today!

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I started in the 5th grade in the school band program. I really wanted to play the drums but they handed me a cornet and I never looked back. :play:

10. Kima

Kima New Friend

Oct 29, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    At 10 I heard the school brass band play "Spanish March" (Juaranz, E.)with a wonderful trumpet sequence in it, and instantly decided that I want to play in a brass band, and I want to play the trumpet!!