How/why did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jan 23, 2009.

1. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    Hello,
    I was just wondering how everyone started to play trumpet, and why or who inspired you, and what kind of horn you started on.
    :play:

2. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    I grew up in the '60's,which Herb Alpert and the TJB ruled!! My parents had a slew of their albums, and after listening to them, I said"Thats what I want to play-trumpet" and havent looked back(except the 25 years I played guitar and didnt touch my trumpet):play:

3. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Forgot this- I started on a brand new,B flat Olds Ambassador,40 years old this year(Yes, I still have it)

4. piccolomaster

piccolomaster Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2008
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I started playing trumpet at the age of 12 wanting to play in a concert band. Go figure. My biggest influence at the time was Al Hirt and Louis Armstrong. The first trumpet I played was the Getzen 300 series trumpet.

5. M Baker

M Baker New Friend

Jan 15, 2014
    Seattle
    No idea! That was back in 1968.
    Perhaps the band director thought, "There is a loud/outspoken young boy that takes good care of his property, is conscientous and creative, likes to be the center of attention, and is pretty accomplished on his Conn song flute. We'll start him on trumpet and see how that works out."
    No one ever asked me to play a different instrument (like French horn or baritone), ever. So it must have been a good fit.
    I still have that 1967 Conn song flute and my 1967 Hot Wheels.

6. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I started back in 1948 As a little boy I loved Louis Armstrong and Harry James,
    and I still do. My first trumpet was a Cuesnon.

7. Maxtrpt

Maxtrpt New Friend

Jan 14, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
    I started in the 6th grade when we had our first introductory band class… I originally wanted to play drums but quickly realized that almost everyone else wanted to play drums too.. so I decided against it. Then I randomly saw a picture somewhere of some orchestral trumpet player and thought to myself "that looks loud and strong sounding!" lol. And so it began.

I wish I could say I was inspired by some artist or song… but thats the truth! I also think it might have been in my blood being half Cuban. The artist inspiration came later though.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I started playing it 'cause someone stuck it on my organ:
    [​IMG]

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously.... I was playing the Organ at a night club on a monthly basis when I was 7 years old. They had a trumpet player sitting in on some of the featured organist's sessions. I fell in love with the way that man sounded on that horn. I remember telling my Dad, I want to play that instrument, and within a year, he bought me an Olds Ambassador.

10. NFS_87

NFS_87 Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hate to bring some younger blood to this but I started way back in 1998 in 6th grade. I started playing because I grew up listening to Maynard and both Louis Armstrong and Prima. My dad played the trumpet when he was in school, so he pushed me into it as well (with very little resistance). In the school "audition" we had to choose two instruments to try, so I chose the trombone just to get something out of the way and the trumpet, I had practiced on my dad's Connstellation cornet but during the audition I couldn't make a sound on the trumpet, and I played a nice note on the 'bone. So the band director said "Ok, trombone then" I said "No, I want to play the trumpet" he tried to talk me out if it, and I don't think he ever liked me for disagreeing with him. I was always last chair until he was fired and magically my paying must have improved as I shot up to first chair. Hmmm... Anyways I started on a Bach TR-300, still have it.

Now, why did I start playing again after a few years of not touching a horn after high school? Because I missed it dearly!!!