How would you get sponsored by a company

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Publius_, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    This might be out of the blue but I honestly dont get how artists get sponsored. I mean I know you play but how do the big companies recognize you.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The company needs to think that they have an advantage by the sponsorship - someone who does great clinics, helps the engineers design instruments better suited for a certain market, or a famous name to be associated with the product.

The sponsorship is mostly work at fairs or clinics, school concerts and the like. The key is charisma and talent.

3. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Well in that case, how many dozens of them have you had to turn down, rowuk? :thumbsup:

4. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Follow the CEO of the company around , every time he/she enters a room play a fanfare , even the bathroom ( it just might work ).

5. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    Funny, or you might just spend some time in jail...ROFL

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Being "sponsored" means that one has, in some degree, "sold out." Allen Vizzutti, back when he was playing a Bach Bb and Schilke picc., was approached by Yamaha. He told them that when they made him a trumpet that played like his Bach he would switch (like Olds, Mendez, and his French Besson). Obviously Yamaha did (as did Olds for Mendez, after putting leaky valves in their prototype).

Others, like Rekenze Brass, pursued sponsorship (in this case, with Yamaha). When Duane Floch was playing with them, he got "busted" playing his Schilke picc. (because it played better). Yamaha honestly wanted to make a picc. that played to his standards and did.

To be pursued by a company, you'll need a big, big name. To pursue one you need a big name. If you want the freedom to play the trumpets you want to play, buy them.

BTW, Rowuk has been involved in trumpet R&D.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Fair question. I have never turned one down. The trumpet world has not taken me by storm if that is what you mean though. :evil: As my day job has been systems analysis for more than 30 years, I have never had the commercial "impact" to make me interesting to a Yamaha for instance.

The sponsorships have not only been from musical instrument companies. I was involved in research for players with crooked teeth (a dental company), breathing practices with a university specializing in resperatory disorders, and research on players with high blood pressure. I also have a collection of mouthpieces, leadpipes, braces and bells from various companies - most of which never went into production.

Sponsorship has been material, horns or parts as well as payed clinics or consulting fees for research. As I have posted in the past, my comments here are based on first hand experience, and I have been very lucky that opportunities to feed my curiosity have not gotten me into trouble.

My collection of instruments does not have 2 from any particular company.

8. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    This is an excellent question. For professionals, it is being at the right place at the right time and a representative from a company takes a liking to you. Then the negoiating process takes place and you are "branded" and have to promote their product at shows and events.

However, more companies are looking at the educational sector. Of course they just do not take just anyone. A professor/instructor will have to be very proficient and play with professional quality, be connected with a symphony or organization and be of principal status, etc., be involved with competitions and some do clinics. Almost all will be at the International Trumpet Guild Conference.

I have always played a Bach. Once again, personal preference. I got more involved with Bach through Karl Sievers, Professor of Trumpet/Music at the University of Oklahoma. However, I do not have the visability that Karl has and most likely never will. I am just an ole' country boy that loves to teach and have fun playing the trumpet. But then isn't that what it is all about? The enjoyment of your instrument and the love of music? I saw an Avatar on this site that really says it all: "Music is the Universal Language". Just think, wouldn't be great if the armies of the world would put down their weapons and issue instruments. Then instead of worthless battles, there would be a gigantic music competition to determine the winner. But then alas, our ever corrupt polititians would get involved in the judging and we would be back to square one shooting at each other. Opps, I just brought controversy into this ever "calm and enjoyable" site. Rowuk and Vulgano Brother, how long do I have to sit in "time-out"?