How you make cleaning your trumpet fun?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Mar 22, 2011.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Love my trumpet! I hate cleaning my trumpet!

Today I decided to try to make it fun, almost ritualistic. I played "Fennel Conducts Sousa" on my Yamaha CR2020 which drive a pair JBL 36's at "11". The CD is a Mercury Living Presence recording with georgous audiophile sound. The rousing brass music coupled with the fantastic sound really got me over the hump and the trumpet was cleaned in no time.

Do you have a cleaning ritutal or something that makes cleaning fun?

BrotherBACH

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, I sip 1 glass of Bombay Sapphire Gin and tonic with a lime wedge while cleaning the horn as a reward for my effort. AND NO I DO NOT USE THE DRINK TO RINSE MY TUBING TO PROTECT AGAINST MOLD. This mixture is purely for personal consumption. This is about the only time (once every 3 months) I drink an alcoholic beverage at this point in my life. Only drink one glass, as my goal is to revitalize the trumpet, not revitalize the mind.

For me, the gin and tonic and the trumpet go together, as in my younger years, a tradition in the big bands in which I played was for the trumpet section to drink gin and tonics on gigs. Now, on gigs, I drink ice water with lemon, ONLY. So I guess rewarding myself with the traditional gin and tonic when I now clean my horns brings back very fond memories of my youth.

Does this make sense to anyone?

3. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I keep a mix of 1 gallon of Simple Green to four gallons of water in a plastic container normally used for storage. I just have to take the instrument apart, put the pistons and slides in another much smaller container for storing food in the fridge, and place the trumpet in the larger container. Let sit for about fifteen minutes and then rinse off with water and then air or mechanically dry parts, then oil, grease areas and reassemble. I can then go on to do my other instruments in the same manner.

I keep the solution stored until needed and only discard after a few uses.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've always thought it was fun but time consuming. I bought a cleaning kit that actually makes cleaning easier and more thorough. Here's the link.

H.W. Products, Inc.

The snake does a really good job. Because of it's length, you can go back and forth in the slides. The valve brush is also very good with the ends being different sizes. One word of caution though. The snake is plastic, so you can't jam it into really tight places or the it will kink and twist and never be the same, I know :-(! I too, like mrsemman, use a storage container to clean my horns. I do more than one with my cleaning concoction.:thumbsup:

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Two things. I did have a nice single-malt while cleaning my trumpet. So, yes, I do understanding a "wee dram" of something.

Also, the thought of cleaning more than one trumpet continues to be the perfect cure for the N+1 virus.

BrotherBACH

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Forgot to mention this. The snake can also be used as a swab on the leadpipe and slide after playing. That makes cleaning less frequent on horns acquired during a n+1 flare-up. :lol:

7. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Well funny story is since it is my life goal to become a Master Technician I have to start somewhere. Usually I crank the tunes (anything from Metallica to Boston) and just go on autopilot. However when I first started I took my time and carefully cleaned everything; but since I've lost count on how many trumpet clean/polishes I've done I just let the muscle memory take over and now I think about how I'm going to pay for my upcoming wedding.
    >.<

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Fun, fun, fun!

[​IMG]

9. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    I use the single malt while playing, not cleaning. I have also used it on stage when I needed to do a quick valve cleaning job. It works well.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I just look inside certain students horns and my priorities go to exactly where they belong!