How young is too young?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Jan 6, 2004.

1. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    What is the normal age to start a child on the trumpet?

I remember in our area of the country children normally started on instruments in the 6th grade. Is this still the case?

And....I seem to remember that if you start a child on a brass instrument (or woodwind for that matter) that can adversely affect the development of their teeth. Is that true?

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I don't believe kids should start until they get their front top and bottom permanent teeth, and the teeth are solid.
    As far as size, I have taught kids who needed a cornet because their hands were too small to hold a trumpet. did not seem to hold them back..

Mike

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I started in 5th grade and I was old for my class. I was 11 when I started. My son is 9 and in fourth grade and he seems to be doing just fine. As for too young? I'm not sure there is such a thing if the student is attentive and willing.

4. trumpet

trumpet New Friend

Dec 30, 2003
    Maryland
    kindegarten

It helps when a child has had piano lessons for a couple of years before the trumpet, half the battle in the beginning is know the notes

5. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    I would say about 43.

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i think a seroius effort of choir and piano is the best place to start...

then once the teeth are set get a lenght of garden hose or an old leadpipe and a mouthpeice and let them have at it...

then maybe move to trumpet once the basic ideas of breathing and buzzing are in place...

7. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I started when I was 6, and I never had any problems and I'm doing fine now at 16, Ive heard stories of succesfull trumpet players who started at 3

8. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Too young?

George Graham sent me a picture (sonogram) of his grandchild soon to be born and he had a trumpet in his hands already.

If someone has a web site that I could post this on, it's really worth seeing. You've heard of kids being born with a silver spoon in their mouth. This one was born with a trumpet in his. :D

Liad Bar-EL

9. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    out

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    My 9 year old son has all of his front teeth already. Like I said, he is starting 2 full years before I did and he seems to be doing fine, although in my memory, I picked up things a bit quicker than he seems to as far as fingering and chops are concerned. Then again, a 9 year old student is quite a bit different than an 11 year old student, the age I was when I started.

That being said, I still think that he's doing well and as long as he continues to make progress, I'll be fine with it.