How?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, May 3, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Yesterday my teacher made the comment that it doesn't matter WHAT is on your stand but HOW you approach what is one the stand that matters.

The point is that it doesn't matter who you study with, what horn you play on, or what books you have. What matters is how you approach practicing and performing. Your mind is your most powerful tool when it comes to making music. I feel that this is worth sharing on a forum where so many of us get caught up with chasing the latest mouthpiece,method book, trumpet, or greatest teacher. Work hard, but work smart and good things will happen to your playing and musicianship.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    True enough, and for me, at my age... the most important factor is which set of eye wear I have with me at that time.

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    wise teacher, years ago when I was still playing golf I asked a good friend who is a scratch golfer what clubs to buy. He said it didn't matter "if you like the way they feel and the way they look that is the club you should buy". he said "golf is 90% you and only about 10% equipment". I think you can apply this towards playing the trumpet.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I nominate this short but relevant thread for a "sticky" award!

5. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    I think it was the great professional golfer Lee Trevino who said "Golf is 90% mental and 10% mental" referring to one's attitude toward all aspects of a pursuit, whether it be golf or music -- how you practice, what you practice, selection of equipment, desire to improve, etc etc. However, a little natural ability helps a lot.....

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi xjb0906. It sounds like you have a great teacher. Oh, but then again, it doesn't matter who you study with. :-)

Just kidding, of course.

Thanks for the timely reminder.

Mike

7. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Yup mind controls the body. Hear it in the mind and it will sound the way you want it to.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So does this mean I need to put my mind on meds to control the unwanted gas emissions I have when I play the trumpet? Here I go with that age thing again!

9. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    LOL.... Doc, that would be an excess of fiber intake issue you have there. The guitarist in our group has some issues with gas, and it sucks when we are playing on a gig and he rips one. Ous saxophonist and I play behind and above him, so when the laws of physics takes effect. We are sucking in his fumes and playing in front of the crowd trying to keep composure. That being said, there are some external factors that can impact your approach to the music on your stand.:shock:

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I see this as more of an issue of perspective. I put it in a more positive light... and instead of the perspective of.. "it sucks... on a gig and he rips one..." to more of a positive twist of: "what and interesting and creative use of a grace note". See... keep it positive... [and stand up wind]. This is what we call a win wind situation.