How's Misty doing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 21, 2013.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    When I practice at home, I close the bedroom door (solid core) - draw the curtains - heavy ones so that I could sleep during nightshift - and open ALL the cupboard doors and crack all the drawers open, it seems to break up the sound volume without distorting what I hear. I can play facing the wardrobe or a rendered brick wall for variation if I chose. The neighbours have never even commented - perhaps I'm just a little more acceptable than the screaming and shouting games that other neighbours play. Oh, and our house has double brick walls which helps.

2. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Oh, I wasn't confused (for once). I just like to pick. You'd think I'd have stuck to the guitar.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ted, does your house abut your neighbors on the "double brick" side? Here in the U.S. we call such townhomes. Sometimes, I think of telling a neighbor to soundproof their home if they don't want to hear me or others. Well, you do know I often use YSB only to keep peace in my marriage.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I got my cornet!

[​IMG]

I also got my Claude Gordon Elementary book. I can't wait to play this thing, but it won't be tonight because I have a client dinner right after work and I think it will be awkward to carry a cornet case with me when we are walking to the restaurant.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    No Ed, the house is entirely free standing.

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Congratulations concerning the cornet, Misty. It looks like a nice one! Let us know how you think it plays.
    Jim

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Uh, Ted, that isn't one of those drop bears in your sig. is it?:roll::lol::oops:

Our place is free standing too, but the walls are kinda thin and there's not a whole lot of space between us and the home on either side. Double-wide manufactured home( PC term for trailer).Live in a park with about 200+ homes in it:oops:

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Besides inadvertently stirring up a hornet's nest, I have not had much time the past three days to play, due to work commitments and going to see South Pacific at QPAC. It was a lot of fun. I'd like to order the trumpet books for it and learn them, although the French horn parts were stunning as well. JUST gorgeous.

I did have a tiny bit of time yesterday to play the new cornet. I was expecting a much different timbre from the trumpet, but I just really can't hear it. This weekend I'll ask my husband to listen and see what he thinks. I am playing with a cornet mouthpiece. Maybe they really don't sound a lot different? I'll have to get some recordings.

Lessons 1 and 2 in the Claude Gordon book have to do with breathing and buzzing. Handily, I can do these lessons without having the horn in front of me. So I've been doing the breathing 3-4 times a day (besides my normal breathing to, you know, stay alive), and a little buzzing. Interestingly enough, he advocates only buzzing until you can get a consistent buzz and then never doing it again! Well, I'm actually fairly good at buzzing, either with just the lips or the mouthpiece. When I played French horn with a chamber ensemble in university, I used to warm up with the choir, on my lips and mouthpiece.

Anyhow, I'll leave you with a picture of the Ambassadors.

[​IMG]

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Mouthpieces make a HUGE difference with Cornets, throw a funnel sided piece in that puppy!

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Agree - for example this is mine:
    Bb Cornet 2 - Denis Wick Mutes, Mouthpieces and Accessories

I've played everything on this (when playing cornet) for the last 20+ years and only much later saw Denis Wick's description of it as "... for low cornet parts".

It's got a very deep V cup and a large throat.

--bumblebee