How's Misty doing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I'm using a Wick 5 or 5B( it's unmarked other than saying Wick on it) on my Director 17A. BIG difference in the sound:oops:

2. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm going to go and check out Queensland Wind and Brass for their first rehearsal of 2013, on Tuesday! I am beyond excited even though I'm sure to embarrass myself. My chops are feeling worked over after Claude Gordon elementary lesson 3 and Moonlight Serenade earlier. That Gordon stuff is boring! Like lifting weights. And you feel the same afterward.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, they say. On the other hand, I used to do some ridiculously stupid stuff like solo free climbing and I'm not any stronger as a result. My limbs still work, though.

You'll be fine, Misty, and they will be charmed with your accent. Keep us posted!

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Misty, that sounds interesting, I hope you find either a niche or some additional contacts. :play:

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Misty,
    There are a lot of other Community Bands around Brisbane, in case QWAB is not your scene. They seem to go for competitions (not saying that is a bad thing), but fun is key for the comeback, and easy tunes to build on, or a variety of tunes. I always rush to grab 4th chair, and see how it all sits. The yearly fees seem high, but I suppose they need to pay for the rehearsal hall.

I hope you have fun -

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Watch 4th Chair and the Battle Hymn of the Republic - just sayin' .................. great tune though.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Sneakily, I've adapters to play a Farkas French horn mouthpiece on trumpet, mellophone in F, and cornet. Too, I've an Akright-Parduba 4.5 for cornet, and lastly I've acquired a Holton Collegiate cornet from Ivan that he's modified with a trumpet receiver, and while some will say it would then play more trumpety and less cornety, my opinion is that it is neither but something else and I like it.

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Peter, I checked out lots of local bands and the main problem was location. This one is easy to get to and get home from, via public transit. I agree it does seem expensive. I hope it's worth it. At any rate I might make some contacts.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    $160 I feel is not excessive, we pay $150 per year at our community orchestra, the local council is very generous and gives us the rental of the venue at half cost, both the Musical Director and Principal violin are professional musicians and are paid although not at normal rates.

There was another local orchestra not as big as ours whose sub was $300 per year.

Regards, Stuart.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    .... and here in Sydney I pay $120 per year for one band, and a little less for the other (again sponsored by the local Council). So $160 is probably pretty much on the mark - particularly if rent has to come out of it - a Scout Hall in Sydney generally costs $88 per month, for example, and that very regular outlay really rips into the bank acount.

Regards,
    Ted