How's Misty doing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I need to let our community band know this. We have a $10.00 subs. Needless to say we are always struggling for money. Although in past years the local council has been very generous. But it leaves us never knowing if we have enough money to buy new music.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that is a pretty horn -- love it, and practice with it -- and the horn will love you back -- so to speak, by interacting between your lips, and the sound coming out the bell ----- the horn is nothing witout the RIGHT player, and the player is little without the RIGHT horn ------ so work together!!!!

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Stuart, is $150.00 the fee for Membership of each player, or the annual total for all?. Here, I'm now charged $15.00 per month for a room that I use for tutoring from 4:00 to 5:00 PM only on Wednesdays that could easily be enough space for 25 players, but currently we are just 5. This is just one room in the county Cultural & Wellness Center 3 miles distant from my home. The school buses drop them off, and their parents or custodians pick them up before 5:30 PM. Occasionaly, I've been asked to transport a child home or to a neighbor, but such is not often, and though I've not yet charged extra to be reimbursed for this, when contracts are renewed next year I will. Such is contingent on my health permitting me to continue tutoring next year.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    No Buck, the outer walls of my house consist of two layers of 4"W x 9"L x 3 1/2"H clay bricks laid parrallel to each other - the total wall thickness is 13". The outside of the house has been cement rendered to a thickness of about 1/2" and then painted. The internal walls are all constructed of a single brick thickness and rendered, the floors are cypress pine boards 3" wide and tongue and grooved to each other. The ceilings are fibrous plasterboard - the stuff before drywall (or Gyprock sheeting), and the roof is earthenware tiles. All gathered together and assembled about 1926. SO all pretty heavy solid stuff designed to keep trumpet, trombone, and tuba players restrained acoustically. All this sits on 1/5th of an acre of land with the closest neighbours house just 8' away.

.... and no, that's not a Drop Bear - it's Ted in his band uniform (AIYBTYBA).

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    WOW they pack you blokes in pretty solid down under --- here in the great state of NEW YORK in the N. Americas, I have 7 acres to my disposal, and am SMACK DAB in the middle of that acreage --- although my STONE walls are 2 feet thick on the top level, and 3 foot thick in the basement with a 3 inch layer of insulation in the middle of 2 sandwiches stone walls ------ NO COMPLAINTS from the neighbors - ever!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    .... and KT, mine is the biggest block in our street. The house I grew up in was on a slightly larger block but the construction was 1/4" asbestos fibre-cement sheeting nailed to hardwood framing outside, and drywall inside nailed to the same framing - no insulation at all, and the neighbours heard every beautiful note.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wow - -you must live in a CITY?? -- an I though all of Australia (outside of Metropolitan Sidney) was all OUTBACK!!! -- thanks for educating me, that Australia is much more than outback and beaches, and animals that eat TOURISTS and SUCH!!! -- might be a nice place to visit!! someday!! I could drop by Misty's community band, and maybe sit in on a practice or two -- that would be cool!

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Yep, New York! Nothing like it. Even more acres than KT my neighbor, and I can' t hear him nor he me. Love the wide open spaces, especially when they aren't full of snow.

Let's play some duets, KT!

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Ed,

the $150 is each members annual fee although there is a discount for pension card holders, unfortunatly I do not qualify. I do not have the statement of receipts and expenditure from the AGM in december here, I think we pay around $12-15/hour for our 3 hour rehearsal venue, the MD is paid $150/session and the leader $80.

If it was not for the profit from the annual music camp the orchestra took over running some years ago, I could envisage the sub to be around $300+/ annum.

Regards, Stuart.

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    KT, most of the outer ring of Australia, around the coast, is cities and towns. Then a wide ring of mostly farm land, then the outback (which is mostly just desert, and used to be quite usable as farmland until the rabbits invaded. - google for "myxomatosis"). There is an area of outback called the Nullarbor (literally "no trees", pronounced Nullah Boar). I think ,ost of the Aussies on TM live in cities or suburbs. My house is on an 800m2 lot, which is considered a double lot here in Brissie.