How's Misty doing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    The lot my home is on is pie shape, maybe 8-10ft width of yard on the north side, about the same on the south side and about 3 ft. in front( there's a deck on the front), theres about a 4 ft wide strip behind it and then a drainage ditch. Huge hill on the other side of the ditch with some really big oak trees at the top. deer run through here and occassionally raid the bird feeder back there actually coming in around the fence, and going in between it and a storage shed to get to the feeder if they're brave enough. One morning when my SIL was still staying here, she had her bed underneath the window and woke up one morning to see a deer staring back at her through the window:roll::oops:

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    We pay $50 per player per annum for fees. All the profits get ploughed back into music, and we give an occasional annual award of a few thousand bucks to any up and coming muso going through the Conservatorum who has talent, and has worked well with/for the band. We use a local school auditorium on a Saturday and play 9 to midday for rehersals. We are a community Band, so get some help, but overall annual Budget on expenses is around 20K, and we make a little over that in from the gigs etc. Everyone does it for the love of it (including the Accountant, Committee, Directors etc), some pro players and teachers in the mix, and lots of fun.

Another group in Ballarat is the same cost, and a more local community band in my suburb is the same cost. Maybe $60, I live on the right side of town in Melbourne for low fees.:-)

The other reason is I don't want Misty to get too fixed on the one band - there are lots out there. The website says AMEB Gr6 welcome... a bit better than what I like to play - although we play Gr6 rated works for Comps. Brissie has a lot of bands around, but you need to dig them out. Big bands and community Bands are really good fun to play in.

If you have to pay for the hall, then fees will be higher - and in some minds more exclusive - not necessarily better,

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My tutoring fee is $60.00 / hour. Thus, the parents of the 4 boys I tutor simultaneously each pay just $15.00 / hr. from which I'm providing the instructional music, the venue rent of $15.00 / mo., and my vehicle fuel costs. Such is certainly not a viable income which I could well do without, but it gives me something to do which I rather enjoy and provides some learning enrichment to the boys and an activity that is not juvenile delinquent in nature. Now thinking of this on an annual basis at $15.00 / hour x 52 weeks, each family would be paying me $780.00 annually, for a total for all 4 boys of $3,120.00, but because the school buses don't run in the summer, I too must suspend such tutoring during the summer. Add to this, that 3 of the 4 boys' parents' income is close to or below the poverty level, I commend them for providing this opportunity for their children ... now if there were only a Social Services program.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Straight out of college I charged $5.00 for a half hour lesson and drove to the student's house. My student paid out of his allowance. One day his father took me to his garage and showed me his Ferrari, and asked how I could afford to to teach for so little. I told him I couldn't afford not to. I don't think it sank in. That is one of the reasons I like my Moderator pay so well here at TM.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You Sir, and Ed, are musical Heros. Respect. :worthy::worthy:

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ted, I don't think any of us would be so enamored with an instrument that fights us every step of the way without some sort of confirmation that others love it as much as we do. This is a cool thing that TM provides. I was simply paying back for the love and help I was given along the way. No hero stuff. If you want lessons from me now, however, we're talking Australian Ford Falcons and unmarried daughters. Mind if I call you Dad?

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The Ambassador cornet leans toward the trumpet side of cornet timbre. If you play your Ambassador cornet with a Bach 3C mouthpiece, it will sound a lot like your Ambassador trumpet played with a Bach 3C. Sure, the shank on a Bach 3C (or whatever size you play) cornet mouthpiece will fit a cornet, but it's really just a trumpet mouthpiece with a cornet shank. To have the true cornet experience, buy a mouthpiece that's marketed as a brass band style piece, like a Wick, Curry BBC, Stork Vacchiano, etc. I'll bet you can find a Wick fairly easily, and if you don't want to jump into the deep end, try a Wick 4B. It's one of the smaller Wicks, but is still pretty deep and open when it's compared to trumpet pieces.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ted, you don't know it, nor does anyone else (that I know of) but it's pay back time. As I've prior stated elsewhere, I was privately tutored, and my Mother tutored other children on the piano as well as contributed greatly to both my brother's and my music endeavors. I honestly do not believe that Walter H. Cameron was paid anything for the private tutoring my brothers and I received, and I positively know my Mother wasn't paid any monies for her tutoring, but perhaps she did exchange such for services or commodities.

Truthfully, there is an elusive quality that persists even among (some of ) the impoverished and that is pride. I don't know if it was in his "Poor Richard's Almanac" but it is attributed to Benjamin Franklin: "It is hard for an empty bag to stand upright." I perceive that such applies in so many ways philosophically that I've created a framed wall hanging of it. Among those that have pride, they want to pay for what they get. Yes, this may seem strange that I still believe this, being an ex-LEO ... but there is a better side of life for most of us and no accolades need be heard or read about it.

Some have asked me how I can tutor 4 simultaneously, and my response is that if I can't discern which of the boys is having playing difficulty, it would be as much my error as theirs, and most likely moreso mine as such is my responsibility. However, I've found a certain competitive meld between the boys that I also foresee will endure them when in the future they sit in a band trumpet section and blend with it, realizing that 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chairs augment the lead of the first even if such is a different instrument. Letting them choose which part they play by chance is an innovation I've found with great succcess that eliminates any animosity with a fellow player or towards me. Still, I'm stringent about home practice time of 1 hour "lip time" daily that with alternating "lip time" and rest of 20 minutes requires 1 1/2 hours to accomplish, but only insist on this 6 days per week, whereas I too do not play on Sunday unless it is in Church.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Regardless - I hold my salute.

(Hmmm Aussie Ford Falcons? I'm assuming that you mean the Early '70s Ford Falcon Phase 5 HO built for the Bathurst 1000 - now that, Sir is an interesting car - fastest production sedan in the world for it's time and a big thumpin' Windsor V8 baseline sound, especially pulling up the "Mountain to McPhilamy Park" and on-song - glorious - at least 500 built and many street registered to meet the rules as a production sedan. As for unmarried daughters, well I lucked out with Y chromosomes so I only have an unmarried neice - but she is a beauty, intelligent, educated, blonde, and beautiful - her young man might object though).

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA