How's Misty doing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Well, hey, Ted. We DO have an Aussie driver in NASCAR now. I root for him when I have occassion to watch a race now and then:roll::oops:

2. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    If you're talking about Will Power, he's been in Indycar for a while. He apparently knows how to turn right as well; a rarity in American motorsports.

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Nope, not Will Power. Marcos Ambrose:oops:

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I liked the video. NASCAR not so much. Come on boys. Stay on target.

I have checked and band practice is still on even though half the city is shut down today. :play:

Ted, which Getzen do you have? My next horn is going to be a new one and I feel very attracted to the Getzen 3051. I wonder if I can get the one Aussie Getzen dealer to send me one on trial. I'm curious how the different tuning slides affect the sound. When I get another Bb I want it to work for both symphonic band and jazz settings. And I want awesome valves. It is a while away. I enjoyed reading the article on the Getzen website about how they make their bells.

Speaking of valves, since I washed and lubed the Ambassador trumpet, I get vibration at the first valve on both of the A's in my reach. My husband thinks I cleaned it too well.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Getzen is difficult to get in Vic., not sure who it is in Qld. The dealer's shop in Vic is in his home in a remote part of melbourne. Good service though. I got a new Getzen Case for my 900H, expensive but worth it & worth the wait.

Here is the contact details:
    Eltham Woodwind and Brass
    Web: The Sound supplier Eltham Woodwind and Brass for musical instruments

6. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks Peter, he is also listed as the only Getzen dealer in Australia. I visited his website, but of course no prices. I have emailed an enquiry even though I am nowhere near ready to buy. I suspect anything I ordered would need to be shipped from the US. Of course I could just order from the US, but the import duty would be enormous on a $2800 USD purchase. In this case, the Australia Tax might be cheaper.

I'll tell you a funny story. We needed to take down a tree so my husband needed to buy a chainsaw. In the US, we lived on a farm and he had a chainsaw he really liked. He looked it up and it is still available. In Australia, it's $1200. He freaked out a little at the price and went to look at Amazon.com. The same model is available for $400 on Amazon, with $50 shipping. No he doesn't get the warranty coverage, but he can replace it twice and still come out ahead.

The Australia Tax is the one most astounding thing to me. Back when the USD was strong, the excuse was "The exchange rate." But when the USD was at parity, the prices stayed the same or went up. Still "The exchange rate." And I don't know if you guys hear it down there, but we always have Gerry Harvey on TV carping on about how people buying things over the internet are killing the brick and mortar stores. When you can ship a chainsaw across the world for 1/3 of the price of buying it locally, I have to say I'm not surprised.

Anyway. :) What do you think about your Getzen, Peter? I don't see it in your signature. Maybe it's one of the "few more"?

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Don't they drive the wrong way? [​IMG]

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Wrong way? Are you going to argue with the Driver?
    [​IMG]

--bumblebee

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Heck yeah!

[​IMG]

Unimogs are like Ambassador trumpets--they don't mind getting banged up.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    bumblebee likes this.
  10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    What the hell just happened to my thread? :stars: