How's Misty doing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 21, 2013.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Sorry about that.

Maybe you can let us know just where you got to in the Rubank and Arban work this last week, and if you've made any progress with the Harlem Lullaby and Moonlight Serenade?

I hope you are still having fun.

--bumblebee

(P.S. - mention of cars may not be entirely off-topic as most cars have horns?)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Don't blame me--I made a trumpet reference! As for the rest: you are on TM, and anything over ten on-topic responses is a miracle here, especially when the Australians get involved. Just sayin'.

Plus, Unimogs are really cool.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    So, uhh, how's Misty doing?

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Misty,
    You can check out some of mine by checking out my Albums under my Profile.
    Here it is:
    [​IMG]

I do like the bent bells...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW: I do love the Getzen - a really nice horn with the best valves.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Now back on Topic - Cars right?
    Nascar = Nasty Aussie Cars right?
    My preference - EH Holden.
    [​IMG]

The Aussies will be checking out the Ute, the Yanks will be checking out the Sheila, and the Kiwis will be judging the sheep for the Yearly Calender.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Misty - sorry, we get a bit sidetracked when it comes to fast cars, and trumpets, and almost anything else - but it's generally only one thing at a time.

I have two Getzens; a 700S Eterna II purchased new a few years ago and currently in the care of my neice. This trumpet was purchased from Chuck Levins Washington Music Center (sic) who I contacted directly. The purchase was based on Getzen's reputation which allowed me to confidently purchase on-line - yes I'd tried an older 700S before I made my decision, and took some advice from a professional player here in Sydney - and it was a great result. The Getzen site will describe the features of the trumpet pretty well but you can also direct questions to Brett or Mary via the contact link on the Getzen site. I purchased this way because of the high mark-up here in Oz - I saved about AUD$700 in the process. Washington Music Center also included a set of three mutes @ $15 ea (A Harmon, Straight, and Cup).

The second instrument is a Getzen Eterna Classic (900) made in 1983 and purchased on eBay from the US. It was well described, well researched, and offered by a vendor with reputation - but obviously it was unable to be played (which I would not necessarilly recommend) but it worked for me. The photographs were excellent, and all questions received detailed and rapid responses. At the time I paid just over AUD$900 and I still believe I got a deal (and that's all that matters) because it is a lovely horn, with lightning fast valves and the condition was excellent.

The 700S is in silverplate (no choice) and is described by Getzen as an Intermediate level trumpet - I disagree, it's better than that and arguably the best value trumpet for money available (I think you'd pay about AUD$1800 for one of these, but even with freight and Customs Inspection Fee and GST you'll get it cheaper from the States). The 900 is in lacquer, is no doubt a pro level trumpet, much lighter than the 700S and just a delightful trumpet to play - the feedback is glorious and this is my favourite horn for Concert Band.

My Harrelson (Harriett) is best suited for Stage Band as it projects right to the back of the room, but I find it hard to blend.

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nice sheep, Peter. I'd be judging the wool for spinning but they're shorn. Also I think you can get a tech to fix up those trumpets. :roll: Your avatar makes a bit more sense now.

I got about 2/3 through the Rubank but it is too high for me at the moment so I am doing lessons 1-3 of the Claude Gordon elementary book. The jazz is going better. I can get through page 1 of three or four tunes, albeit slowly and without too much style. Playing through some vocal melodies too including a book of bluegrass. Whoever heard of bluegrass trumpet? Hot Corn Cold Corn makes me laugh every time. :play: Probably good for double tonguing later.

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    And thanks for the info, Ted. I wonder how the Getzen 900 compares to the 3050 series. Obviously the latter are higher up in the line. I am really most fascinated by interchangeable slides to change the character. I wonder how much difference they really make (more or less than mouthpiece cup?). I may need to send an email and/or look at YouTube. Also wondering if it is wise to spend that much when much better players seem to be happy with horns that cost $1k less.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Sorry Misty - only questions you can answer - I'm unqualified because I have prejudices. Mind you, an email to Getzens may answer the comparison question adequately for you.

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have 2 Getzens, a 1976 Eterna Severinsen model purchased from a member here in the market place,I think it was $600. Silver plate 100%, no dents or signs of repairs, the only negative a small patch of rot in the leadpipe near the receiver which does not seem to effect the playing. Valves tight, fast and smooth, a light horn plays easily and on the bright side. The other is a Super Delux Tone balanced, pretty much a wreck, did not pay much for it, valves tight and smooth, used it as a basis for a Frankenhorn (more later) to try some Ideas on, finished it just after christmas and played it at 9 day music camp a couple of weeks ago, very pleased with the performance.

I hope you have not been affected by the wild weather and floods.

Regards, Stuart.