How's Misty doing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 21, 2013.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    No I am all good, thanks. Our house is up quite high. The floods have not been bad in Brissie but public transit has had some issues due to wind damage. A big worry now is that the water plants are having trouble with the muddy water and there could be a water shortage.

Any of you in the danger zone in NSW? Also the damage in Bundy is just shocking.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The steering wheel is on the wrong side, the Sheila has 60's hair and sheep destroy good grazing land. I'd go with the Getzen.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The steering wheel is on the wrong side, the Sheila has 60's hair and sheep destroy good grazing land. I'd go with the Getzen.
    UNQUOTE

.... but the sheep make good slide grease, and it is one very very fine EH, have you considered that the blond may play trumpet in a 60's style band?

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Band was SO FUN! They are doing a programme of opera music, then something else, then something that involves disco Star Wars apparently. Three different concerts. They also have a jazz band that seems to be made up of a subset of them. I need to fill in a form and pay the fees so I can get my music. And I need a straight and cup mute.

5. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    They can watch cars turn left for three hours but can't stay on a thread topic for more than two pages.

Are all of the caps on securely? Maybe, if all of the valves still have good compression, one of the valve assemblies isn't tight enough. But I'm not a repair guy; just somebody trying to highlight HEY GUYS THE LADY ASKED A QUESTION.

Somebody said "Nascar."

6. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Awesome! Go for the cheapest, most nasty sounding straight mute you can find. I have a Tom Crown copper bottomed one, and the hornist in our quartet said she couldn't hear a difference in my sound. Ouch! (Still love her, though even after the birth of my son and my description of his male anatomy she told me he obviously didn't take after his dad. Ahem, but no NASCAR.) Go for a Humes & Berg Cup.

Above all, have fun!

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Result - you're IN - good!

In the short term you may have to fork out full price for mutes - The Australia Academy of Music in BrisVegas will have contacts, but they have so many brass instruments I'd be surprised if mutes aren't in stock - they represent the largest music store in Oz. I've been looking for mutes on line, and the prices are a bit exxy. You could ask other members of the band if they have some spares they might part with for a reasonable price. You could simply start with a Denis Wick Cup mute which will disassemble into a straight mute (the sleeve slides off and the core works pretty well as a straight) - two mutes for the price of one.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  8. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I forgot to mention that the bales of hay look like straw. And yes, sheep make excellent slide grease. One of my major crushes back in the day was Olivia Newton John, and she's not Australian. You guys did put her into your Australian Music Hall of Fame, though. Back to Misty now.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Cows make excellent hamburgers, too.

10. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I dunno....the last time a Guernsey made me one it was overcooked to the point of dryness.