how's the QC these days?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by jamesfrmphilly, Dec 11, 2003.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    I've never had a problem but I've heard numerous complaints on the forums.

is anyone at Bach listening?

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I have heard QC is alot better than it was in the 80's.but keep in mind Bach likes for that image of poor QC to be out there. because of that image music stores have to stock alot more strads since everyone now has this idea that they have to play ten horns to get one horn that is good.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Besides which, why would they care? Whether they have a reputation for having quality control issues or not, they are still selling more horns than anyone else out there.

Everyone who owns a Bach wants to believe that they got a good one, not one of the dogs, and a lot of HS kids (the biggest market for the Bach Strad) care more about how shiny their horn is and how it looks than how it plays.

4. mlockman

mlockman New Friend

Feb 21, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    I have purchased three new Bach horns in the past twelve months and I believe the quality is superb. I can see no defects in workmanship.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The "defects" in quality control would probably be things that you wouldn't even see such as the receiver being too tight and forcing too big of a gap between the mouthpiece and the lead pipe. There might also be valve alignment issues.

I recently damaged my Bach Strad, a LB 25 bell, and for the last couple of weeks I've been playing a different Strad, but in the same configuration of LB 25. Compared to mine, there is no comparison. Mine is much more clear in the upper register and it has better focus. This one is stuffy in the upper register, is brighter, and just doesn't center as well. At least not with my mouthpieces.

But, the exterior of the horn is immaculate.

6. keith e miland

keith e miland New Friend

Jan 18, 2004
    Winona, MN
    I'm having the opposite problem with QC. I believe my horn plays just fine. (although I did try it out with 6 other Strads and the sound quality was all over the map from bright to dark) It is less than 3 years old and the laquer is gone in many spots including on areas where you don't put your hands often. On top of that some of the silver on the 3rd valve slide has worn away. I had a silver plated Bach when I was in Guard band and the silver lasted 10 years before it started to look bad.

I play flugel in a brass band 80% of the time. My trumpet doesn't get that much use. IMHO, my horn looks terrible for it's age and use.

And I don't think it is only the trumpet line. My wife has a Bach 36 BO and her laquer job is worse. Instument repair guys way that it wasan't properly cleaned at the factory before the laquer was applied. Granted her horn is 1993 vintage, but she takes good care of it. She is going to get a new one and guess what brand won't be on her list to try.

If I was buying a new horn, I might not try Bachs this time either.

This opinion and $2 ought to get you a cup of coffee most places.

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Except those fancy places. Geez, $4 for coffee (that has a bucket of sugar in it, yum!)

Anyway, I think we will see a difference from Bach soon now that Steinway is the owner. Steinway is not in the habit of putting out crappy instruments. And why would a store want stock 6 or more horns? The internet big dealers have driven the price into the ground and margins are slim.

I think if most stores had to carry 6 horns to make one sale, they may balk at Bach :D The Strad is still the horn to compare to, but as this forum has shown, the competition is stiff. But I think once Steinway's influence starts to really take affect, the quality issues will not be there.

There is another point to consider. Every horn, factory or hand made, plays a bit different. Bach got a little sloppy and the difference was extenuated. But no matter how much care is taken, every Strad will play slightly different. So will every Kanstul, or Schilke, or ZeuS.

Play some horns when looking for a new one. You may be surprised at some brands you never might have considered. As a dealer, I play all kinds of horns all the time. Trade ins come fairly often. Playing horns is an enlightening experience. If someone asks you if they can play your horn, the answer should be "Yes!" And then play theirs!

M&C

8. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

Hi! I think I can say when I played a Bach Strad, I didn't notice any quality issues wrong with the one I tried. I am currently looking on E-Bay.