HS Brass Quintet Literature

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Mar 9, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Well, some of my hs musicians have caught the bug and want to form a quintet! What are some good quintets for high school students? We have the Pezel Sonata 38, but I can't quite put my brain on other good lit for this group. They've never done a chamber experience, so nothing too intricate.

2. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
    I have lots of pieces on my website that would be appropriate. Go to:

http://www.stewmuse.com/Brass1-5.html

ALL of the quintet pieces listed on this page are accessible to high school players.

3. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    The Canadian Brass have several book with collections of music that would be appropriate. Even the easiest ones, though they would not be technically challenging, would be good to read through to begin getting a good ensemble sound and sense of how a brass quintet "feels". The more advanced books will provide a challenge and good start into the "greatest hits" of brass quintet literature.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Stewmuse- thanks. I'll pass that along to them. It is all their idea, and they will be doing most of this on their own eventually. Can they preview a print-disabled score before purchasing so they know whether it's playable or not?

Trumpetpimp- I've heard of the book. Thanks for reminding me about it. I'll check Pepper for cost and availability.

5. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
    There are the first pages of each score on the site, along with a few sound files. really, though, none of those pieces are very demanding. Most are pretty common tunes, too. Thanks...

6. JoeCJazz

JoeCJazz New Friend

Mar 12, 2005
    Charleston, WV
    Try the Robert King arrangements of baroque style tunes. Die Bankelsangerlieder is a good bet for any high school brass quintet.

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Here are some others to consider:

*Renaissance Dances - Tylman Susato arr. John Iverson

Thomas Morley pieces arranged by Walter H. Barnes. Actually, look up as much of Walter Barnes's stuff as possible, its good, generally low-key stuff. His arrangement of "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" is EXCELLENT.

*March: Seventeen Come Sunday - Ralph Vaughan Williams arr. Jari Villanueava

"This Old Man" March - Robert Nagel

The * next to the piece means it has a more demanding upper register for the lead trumpet, though still normally reaching only high A. The Seventeen Come Sunday is AMAZING, even better than the concert band version. Jari Villanueava's "Armed Forces Salute" is also something worth looking into, especially if the group is considering doing a concert.

Van