Huge problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tpetjunkie, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Tpetjunkie

Tpetjunkie New Friend

Nov 11, 2009
    Daytona Beach
    Okay, so I got my braces off about 3 months ago and it has been a huge problem in my playing capabilities. I learned my trumpet with my braces on about 4 years ago. I think I have to adjust my apuratuer or something, but range and quality went down. it has recovered slightly but I'm not the trumpet beast I once was :play:(^_^).

Havany of you had this problem or know what to do? I'm desperite. :-(

2. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    This is is typical. While I learned without braces, I had to adjust when my braces went on and when they came off. It's not going to be an quick process. I got my braces off in my final semester of high school and didn't feel fully adjusted until close to the end of my first semester in college. Just don't wear yourself out when you practice.

3. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    You will adjust quite quickly. It might be a mistake to change anything until you put some hours in. You just might want a new mouth piece but wait a while first. Also have you been putting in the time that you did before?
    The nice thing about an embrochure is that it is meat. Muscle and flesh adjust and adapt.
    Oddly I got lucky. I recently had almost all of my molars extracted as well as one eye tooth. I now have partial dentures. It did not have any effect at all on my playing.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is not a huge problem. The solution is as simple as working out a decent daily routine with your teacher and STICKING WITH IT.

The geometry of playing changes when the braces are removed. Just like the convict who has served his time needs to get used to freedom when the bars are removed, your chops also need some time. Like the convict, if you don't have a decent routine, you will fall back into old habits - with similar results!

5. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Ouch, that's a rough metaphor - it applies - but it's rough.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Life is rough too. Like the convict, we also have do time for our sins. We are trapped because we have been doing the wrong things. We normally have no one to blame except ourselves. Whether or not our efforts end up solving the problem or if we end up "behind bars" again depends on how determined we are to get that fresh start.

If a player lets a contractor down, they are OUT. It is tough to fix a broken reputation regardless if it is musical or character.

7. Tpetjunkie

Tpetjunkie New Friend

Nov 11, 2009
    Daytona Beach
    :thumbsup:Thanks alot guys.

I have been trying to get my playability back and i can feel it coming little by little. i may not be as good as I used to be but I will be soon enough.

Thanks,
    TpetJunkie

8. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    No . . . you'll be SO much better !!

9. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    You certainly own some good horns with which to make a big come back!