Humes & Berg Symphonic straight mute

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Feb 24, 2013.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Hi i picked up a H&B stoned lined symphonic straight mute as part of an ebay sale (red and white) not sure if it is a trumpet mute as it is a differeant size to a meatal finished H&B stone lined symphonic mute i have. Can someone please check the size of their mutes, my feeling is that the metal finished one may be for a flugel? as it is bigger. The red and white one is 6,1/4 inches long by 3 inches diameter at its greatest width, 5/8ths at the top. The metal finished mute is 6 inches long by 3,3/4 inches diameter at its greatest width, and is 78ths at the top.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Might be a large bell cornet mute, or for an Eb Alto horn.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Trombone/baritone/euphonium????

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    The H&B Symphonic is going to be larger on the end than, for example, the Philharmonic.

It would help a lot if you could post pictures.

Tom

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The red and white H&B straight mutes are long and skinny - most modern metal straight mutes will be larger in diameter on the big end. If they both fit well in a trumpet bell, then they are trumpet mutes. BTW, the red and white one isn't usually called a symphonic mute...:D

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    H&B do two different types of trumpet straight mutes: the normal one, which is just a white and red cone in the usual thick sheet metal design; and there's the symphonic, which is made out of a different metal altogether and has a larger knob on the end. IMO, the symphonic has a more elegant sound and is truer in intonation.
    And they make both models in different sizes for trumpet (i.e. peashooters), cornet (large-bell cornet) and even flugel.

7. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Dale, I think you're confused.

This is what you're calling a "red and white" mute:

[​IMG]

That's the Stonelined fiber mute. More or less cardboard and plaster.

This is the Philharmonic:

[​IMG]

It is part of the "Precious Metal Stonelined" collection and comes in aluminum only, and various paint schemes.

This is the Symphonic:

[​IMG]

It comes with an aluminum body and the end cap can be one of aluminum, copper, or brass. It also comes with various color schemes.

The Symphonic is my usual choice; I also have a Philharmonic but I don't play it as much. There is also a Pixie, which looks like a tiny Symphonic, intended for use with a plunger.

So, as you can see, there is quite the variety available. Humes and Berg does more than the cardboard-with-plaster nowaday.

Tom

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have such a soft spot for those H&B mutes.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    No, not confused, just ignorant...:D

I didn't know H&B made red and white painted metal "stone-lined" mutes. I stand corrected.

10. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It's all I've been using for some years now. I think the tone is pretty good and worth a look when a person is deciding which mutes to buy.

Tom