Humidity and playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wlfgng, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    How much does humidity affect playing?

The reason I ask is I was recently in Chicago for vacation and packed my horns along.

It seemed to me I had better endurance, my tone was better etc. Even the pedal tones came easier. Got back home and things felt worse than they did in Chicago.

The humidity in Chicago is much higher than where I am from. Could the humidity be the "missing link" or could it have been something else? State of mind? Elevation?

Any thought?

2. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Don't think humidity had anything to do with it. I'm from Florida, and down there trumpet players play just as good and badly as anywhere else.....

bigtiny

3. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    I meant more temporarly moving from almost 0 humidity to around 90% or the other way around.

Do players from humid locations notice a change in playing when playing in a arid location?

4. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I prefer humid climate because I often suffer from sour throat even eyes in the arid climates expecially in winter in the indoors when heating dryies the air out even further. So if you suffer form sour throat or dry lips it can affect your playing, but you would alrady know if that is a fact.

regarding your case I think it has to do wiht you beeing on vacation, I usually play better while on vacations while I'm more relaxed

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I live in a dry climate, play with a dry embouchure, and when playing under humid conditions my endurance and comfort goes down--the mouthpiece doesn't seem to have enough "grip," and heat, along with humidity I find taxing.

6. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I agree, when I play with a moist mouthpiece I can't playing anything before the mouthpiece has slipped up my nose, although I live in a rather humid environment, so it's a bit problematic.

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Where I live, it's nearly 0% humidity and 5000+ feet in elevation. I love playing the trumpet in opposite conditions, but I think it's mostly the elevation. I feel like I have an extra lung!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It wasn't the humidity, it was the VACATION. You were playing better because you WANTED to, not because you HAD to. You also were in a more relaxed frame of mind. I am a big advocate of low impact playing. Yoga can help you get that frame of mind after a hard workday too. That is why many pros are into it. Getting the brain and body cooperative are a very big part of doing a better job!

9. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada

Well, guess I better quit my job and go on pemanent vacation then.

10. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I personally doubt it had anything to do with humidity. I can remember when I used to travel with my horn sometimes, I felt rejuvenated. It's as if you're getting a fresh start - and the new surroundings make you feel better. I've played in high altitude, dry, humid, really makes no difference to me.