Humidity and playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wlfgng, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The main difference I notice when playing in high humidity is the increased amount of water in the horn - more frequent dumps are necessary. I would guess there's a small difference in the tone that reaches a listener's ears due to the amount of moisture in the air, too.

2. trumpetman1989

trumpetman1989 New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    The way it's been for me is that the humidity wasn't what was screwin with me as much as the temperature. Whether it's hot or cold (if you're outside) it will either go flat or sharp (I think I got that in the right order, correct me if i didn't).

When I went to Taiwan for the 2009 World Games in Kaohsiung, we played at the WG Plaza at night. The humidity was crazy high and it was 90 - 100 degrees farenheit. I remember having to push in a little bit more, but I might be wrong.

There are ways to get used to playing in ALL conditions, and it works great for me.

What you do if you want to get used to playing in HOT conditions: On hot days (costs less to do this), put yourself in the warmest room of your place with heat, and turn up the heat, then play a bunch and find out how you do with that.

What you do if you want to get used to playin in COLD conditions: On cold days, if it's not 50 degrees farenheit in the room, make it so, then play a bunch.

This will train your fingers to take the cold, and help train your lungs to handle the heat!