Humidity

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jurandr, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Jayem

Jayem Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2008
    humidity really helps with cracked lips and that dry throat and mouth feeling when waking up

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Because of a severe case of sleep apnea I am required to sleep with an air pump connected to a face mask that forces pressurised air into my lungs. This 'Bipap' machine is fitted with a humidifier to assist in hydrating my air passages. Since starting the use of theis machine I have had a much reduced amount of dry mouth and 'morning gather'. This is a real benefit for my trumpet playing. I would advise any of you who snore to check with your local sleep disorder clinic for a test to determine your need of such a machine. I have to admit that the mask is ugly to look at and is a very real deterant to amorous behaviour. ( Just a warning to those thus inclined ).

OLDLOU>>

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Glad your machine is working well, Lou. I have given up vizualizing you with a mask:-) The right amount of humidity is very beneficial in your environment and well-being for reasons mentioned. We have had furnace humidifiers of various sorts for the 35 yrs we have been here in this house. Aprilaire 600 automatic is the current one. We really notice the differences in the winter, if we have to turn it off for ordering a filter or something. Of course, in Michigan, you don't have to worry about the humidity level in warm weather.:-) Then, we can turn on the central air if needed. I had some apnea for years until I lost a lot of weight. Not so bad now.

4. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    I put a shallow pan of distilled water in front of my bedroom air duct, and refill it regularly. Humidifier for the blues player :>)

5. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    It works just as well with a pan on a steam(system) radiator.Probally better since the much hotter radiator disapates more water than a hot air duct would.

6. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I agree, the humidifier greatly helps in the winter time if you live in an old house with gas/steam radiators.

7. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    Another neat trick is AYR Nasal Gel. Applied in each nostril with a Q-tip before bedtime will hydrate the air intake in a positive & direct way.