Hummel is not playing fair.

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by latinjazzcat, Nov 26, 2003.

1. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    Just looking for any advice in a time of extreme frustration. I'm trying to fine tune Hummel, and I have consistant trouble with that last slurred line. I CAN play it, but it's not consistant, and I often find myself missing the attack, or lacking enough air to support the trill at the end. I realize this is vague, it's more fuming than anything, but any ideas as to whether I need to work on air support, or perhaps I'm just fatigued by the time I get there, or anything else, would be very helpful. Thanks.

2. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    latinjazzcat:

never let articulation get in the way of what you want to do :twisted: .
    perhaps the slurs are just the 'editor's' idea. it's possible to tongue so softly the listeners never know. do what you must. maybe tape it & check the slur sound on playback.

dj

3. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    LJC,
    Here is my take on it. The only way to get better is simply to do it! Take that last line to the woodshed and don't move from it until it's perfect. This may take 2 days, it may take 2 years. Developing as a trumpet player shouldn't be about shortcuts. Also, take advantage of modern technology, record yourself and listen to the mistakes you're making. Keep trying man, you'll get it eventually!

Jon