Hummel Trumpet Concerto;Easier in Eb or Emajor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samgreen05, Sep 29, 2010.

1. samgreen05

samgreen05 New Friend

Sep 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Aside from the horn itself, which do you find is easier(or less awkward) in fingers to play, and why?

I'm doing a paper on this and would love some input from fellow trumpeters.
    Unfortunantly, I have YET to play this piece myself so I would love to hear from you:)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

-Sam

2. tptmusicaz

tptmusicaz Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2006
    Arizona
    Well the Hummel in Eb is played in the key of C on an Eb trumpet which for me is pretty easy (key wise that is). I haven't had the opportunity to play it in E nor do I have an E trumpet. The range using the Eb trumpet isn't too difficult either. If you play it on a Bb trumpet, it's in the key of F which isn't a difficult key, but the range is higher (you're now starting on an F instead of a low C). That will make some of the trills and other ornamentations a bit more difficult however not impossible. I've seen some impressive examples of this piece played on a Bb trumpet.

3. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Well, here you go...

Hummel in Eb
    Key of C on E-flat trumpet
    Key of F on B-flat trumpet

Hummel in E
    Key of C# on E-flat trumpet
    Key of F# on B-flat trumpet
    Key of E on C trumpet

I do know some folks who play it in E on C trumpet. C# and F# are not necessarily harder, but they are in more unfamiliar keys than many trumpet players are used to playing in. To me the Hummel sounds weird in E (although I know that was the original key). I saw George Vosburgh play it in E with the Pittsburgh Symphony a few years ago...he played great, but I just couldn't get over how strange it sounds in that key. I'm sure it's just because I'm so used to hearing it in E-flat.

Most folks do it in E-flat, either on E-flat or B-flat trumpet. I think there's a reason for that. To me, it's not worth owning an E trumpet to do the Hummel and maybe a couple orchestral things.

Interestingly enough, earlier when I was talking about unfamiliar keys, I do recall a lesson I had with Bill Pfund several years ago. We were working on the Fasch, and he told me that he usually plays most of the key of D baroque literature on the B-flat side of the piccolo, rather than the A...that puts it in E, instead of F. He sounded great, but I sure wouldn't want to do that. So really it's all about just being comfortable in whatever key you are playing in. That's why I practice my scales every day...there are no harder keys, just more unfamiliar ones.

Louie

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no difference - except that the string players have a MUCH easier time in E which makes the experience for the trumpeter easier too.

The historic instruments around that time were tuned all over the place back then. E major, may have been close to Eb (or even lower).

In any case, a modern Eb/E/D/C trumpet sounds nothing like Weidingers keyed trumpet.

More important than the pitch, is the musical intelligence and soul that we pump into this piece. If our respect for this fine music is in place, preparation becomes a joy and no "pitch" will get in the way.

5. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    Bb horn
    I have practiced it both in Eb and E (why do you call bemolle a flat and diesis a sharp ? :/ )
    Found E to be more comfortable. Maybe im weird.

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Ska, english locutors call bemolle (bemol in french) a flat, diesis (dieze in french) a sharp, and sordine (sourdine in french) a mute ... So it is, nobody's perfect ! ;-)

7. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    Offtopic: Yeh, well the term flat/sharp more refers to the sound of a tone if you think about it :p, that is why i find it odd.

8. samgreen05

samgreen05 New Friend

Sep 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Hello, I'm still doing this assignment but my thoughts have changed. Recently i borrowed from the library the hummel concerto score in E Major, with parts for Tromba in Si Flat, Tromba in Mi, and Tromba in Do. just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a hold of a recording of the tromba in Si flat!?

9. piccolomaster

piccolomaster Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2008
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have performed the Hummel Concerto in Eb major on the Eb trumpet and I also performed the Concerto in E major on the E trumpet. (I borrowed E trumpet from the University of British Columbia School of Music).
    I personally like it on Eb trumpet but that's just me. The E took a little bit of work but it was fine.

10. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Si flat is... Bb......... ROFL