Hummel

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by SamTheMan, Jun 30, 2005.

1. SamTheMan

SamTheMan New Friend

Jun 30, 2005
    Manny,

I have been practicing away at the Hummel concerto, 1st movement, and I can sound great on it until the very end. I play the chromatic lick (measure 293,) and then comes the trill. On a good day, I can alternate between the G and A at a slow speed, but usually it doesn't trill at all. My teacher, Dan, has told me to try to work up a 1-3 finger lip trill (Bb trumpet,) but when I do that it just doesn't sound...trilly(?) enough. What do you do when you play this piece? Do you use an Eb trumpet? I don't own one, so that's out of the question for me.

Thanks,
    SAM CALLAHAN

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sam,

Yes, I normally play an Eb trumpet because today's audiences are too much about perfection so there's a certain amount of security the Eb offers. However, when I was in school I played the Hummel on a Bb like you.

Do you practice high trills? If you don't, it's not just going to pop out merely because you need it to. You must practice the techniques for a long time and then play the music the techniques are included in. That makes it a lot easier. It's one of the reasons I don't like giving the Haydn or Hummel too early to stidents.

I play my G to A trills 0 to 1/2.

Also, forget the C trumpet. You won't need one for a long time. It's just an unnecessary expense for you right now. Everything you need to play, you can play on the Bb.

ML

3. SamTheMan

SamTheMan New Friend

Jun 30, 2005
    Thanks

I guess I never have sat down and practiced higher trills, besides what I do in the lip trill section of Adv. Lip Flexibilities; thanks. Not needing a C trumpet is a relief, at least for our checkbook; I'm glad I haven't rushed out and bought one already. Thanks a lot!

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Interesting. Is that for intonation?