Humming while playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Tc, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Trumpet Tc

Trumpet Tc Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2013
    Midwest City, OK
    I've noted that I hum when I play my trumpet, I don't know if this is a problem, benign or horrendous.
    It happens on all notes, but its especially loud on pedal tones ( I only play those when I warm up or warm down ).
    I need some trumpet mastery advice here.

If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks.

~Tc

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    How I don't get how you can hum while playing, is it a sound produced by your vocal chords or is it just that you are feeling your lips buzzing? Just trying to build upa picture before I start really thinking about an answer.

Cheers

Corny

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I hum my music a lot, but not while playing. Still, I vaguely remember hearing this complaint before and consequence was a coupler of the tubing in the instrument but where I don't know.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi TC

It may be a grunting sound that may be from the throat, and a sign of tension in the throat.

Tell us more about it. Are you consciously doing it, or just hearing a grunting noise as you play?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Humming into the horn is a technique you can use to play overtone harmonics with the tonic note... In other words, playing 2 notes at once.

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Of course if like most other Dirty Old Trumpet Players..................................
    You could just need a shower

A

7. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    humming in the horn is also a technique for making a growl.
    can you hear a growl starting?

8. Trumpet Tc

Jul 30, 2013
    Midwest City, OK
    Basically, I play my trumpet and the humming is coming from my throat when I play. Im not trying to do this. The humming is usually the same note as I play.

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi trumpet Tc,
    You stated:
    "I've noted that I hum when I play my trumpet.
    ------------
    That is wrong if you are not controlling it.
    ------------
    I don't know if this is a problem, benign or horrendous.
    ------------
    I think you already know. Your question should probably be, "How do I control it?"
    ------------
    It happens on all notes, but its especially loud on pedal tones
    ------------
    I'll bet that's troubling.
    ------------
    I need some trumpet mastery advice here.
    -----------------------------
    You're/we're in luck. This will not require the opinion of someone with a mastery of the trumpet.
    This is a situation where your intuition is telling you, this is wrong. Listen to your intuition!!
    You can use vocalizing to create effects but when it happens and you are not in control, then that's a bad thing. If the behavior can't be controlled, then it becomes a case of the tail wagging the dog.
    How to fix it:
    Don't vocalize or engage the vocal cords to make noise. Trumpet players use their lips as the mechanisim for creating noise.
    Here's a neat way to think about it. Most people have to learn this to create that effect. You already know how. Now you need to learn how to turn it off. If you are wondering (while playing) if your vocal cords are moving, feel your throat. You can feel when this is happening. The bottom line? Don't hum unless you are intending to hum.

Dr.Mark

10. Trumpet Tc

Jul 30, 2013
    Midwest City, OK
    I will work on it.