Humming while playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Tc, Aug 5, 2013.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Read this one again... a few times in fact .. the Doc knows his stuff!

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I was listening to Chris Botti impressions, and thought for sure I heard him hum near the end of track six. I also suspect that Herb Alpert is a hummer, being a singer and a trumpet player.

I started humming on purpose trying to play the cornetto, which is a pain center tone on, then transferred the concept to cornet and trumpet, I find it helps my technique quite a bit, especially air speed and lower pressure. I recall Mendez in a youtube video saying never use more air than when talking, which makes sense.

My singing improves as well. I don't do it all the time, because my vocal chords get tired since I am a bass and sing the pitches is hard, and I am afraid of damaging them.

I suspect vocal chord damage from singing into the horn is why Miles Davis voice sounded like a bull frog walking on gravel with bare feet, that and chain smoking.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As far back as I have heard him recorded, his voice always had a gravel sound.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I vaguely remember that French hornists have a habit of humming harmonies while they play - a sort of brass equivalent of double-stopping.

On the other hand, I may have been drunk during that particular conversation.