Hurrah for BEN STEIN

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Solar Bell, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  2. brassmouth

brassmouth New Friend

Jul 10, 2005
    New Jersey
    Finally! Someone speaks up for Bush.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Do you know a what a Democrat friend of mine said to me shortly after W made his appointments for cabinet and non-cabinet positions? I swear this is true. She is white. Here's the way the conversation went:

"Oh, great, another white Republican that surrounds himself with more white men."

"Aw, c'mon... what about Rice and Colin Powell, and how about Rod Paige?"

"Oh, YOU c'mon... they're not REAL black people!" It hurt especially because I remember kids telling me I wasn't a REAL Puerto Rican because I didn't have the street accent so many kids in my neighborhood had. To this day I still think about that.

I said some stuff I shouldn't have after that. Ah, it turned out okay, we kissed and made up. She even took me to lunch because she wanted to ask me a bunch of questions so she could try to figure out why I became a conservative, no joke.

I've read a bunch of Ben Stein's stuff. The Spectator articles don't do him justice because they're too short. When he gets a chance to dig in deep I enjoy him more.

ML

4. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    While I do agree that bashing Dubya for the hurricane is going way too far, I still dislike sticking up for him.

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, lazor,

Since I know you've got homework later on it would be of interest to me to hear what you've got to say on the subject, seriously. You know you're among friends here and nobody's going to flame you for working out some thoughts. Personally, it's important to hear what younger folks are thinking and why. Okay, you might be challenged but like I say, this is a good places to work out your debating skills in a civil environment if you want.

ML

6. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I love how liberals are always bothering themselves with trying to figure out how we 'conservatives' chose to become conservative or Republican -- as if we were somehow corrupted into being as such.

It's really just a matter of differing ideologies and free will. I didn't BECOME a conservative...that's just who I am. Sheesh...

If you agree that bashing dubya for the hurricane is going to far, then why would you dissagree with sticking up for him in regards to it? Sounds counter logical to me...

But just this Sunday, right before a church gig, the tuba player blurts out that this disaster in NO is just proof of how corrupt Bush and his administration is. The horn player looked at me with the most confused expression imaginable. I just shook my head, it wasn't worth getting into an argument with someone that blind right before a gig.

And who would this friend of yours ask that Bush surround himself with? Jesse Jackson? Al Sharpton? Kanye West? Snoop Dog? Saying Colin Powell isn't a REAL black is unbelievable -- it'd be like me saying that Janet Reno is not a REAL woman...

....well, actually....

7. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Hey ML -- you wanna see what kids that age are thinking, check out this site from a couple former students of mine:

http://savagelogic.com:8080

Definitely interesting....

8. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    As I say, all of you are absolutely free to have opinions of your own, and encouraged to by that matter.

What dumbfounds me is how people choose to bypass that freedom and immediately conform to whatever is said on the waves, even if none of it makes sense, and it exists on both sides of the political spectrum. I don't agree with all of Bush's policies, and saying I agree with 90% of them is a stretch. I do agree with Rush Limbaugh more often than the average American, I think Sean Hannity tends to be the Michael Moore of the right unfortunately, I love listening to Debra Roe up here in Chicago on 890 and agree with her often, and I voted for Bush due to Kerry's need to beat around the bush, no pun intended.

That said, I don't believe you can blame one person for the sum of this tragedy, and I believe the left is playing the race card and blaming Bush. I personally don't care if the mayor of New Orleans is my best friend's Christian American Heterosexual Pro Gun Conservative father, I still think it is the local government's fault for not taking initiative of their own city and taking the neccessary safeguards to protect the city against a Category 4+ hurricane. As much as I hate unneccessary taxes, if money must be spent to upgrade the levies, then the city has no choice than to take the taxes from New Orleans and make it well worth the extra money to live / visit / do business in New Orleans.

All in all, Ben Stein makes a very wise critique to those on the left. Yes, maybe Bush could have done things better, but using this hurricane to prove Bush as the anti-christ is ludicrous. I'd like to see how the average American would respond as the president in such as situation. I'd bet that anyone who blasphemes Bush (not to be confused with the word "criticize") would talk, talk, talk, talk, and talk some more about how he or she has a handle on it and how great they are, yet wouldn't do a damn thing.

Anyways, that's my sermon for the day. :shock:

9. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I consider myself to be very conservative, but it bugs me that Bush was still in his vacation THREE DAYS after this went on! I'm sorry, MAYBE there wasn't anything that could be done, MAYBE the damage done and the tens of thousands of people couldn't have been avoided, or MAYBE there was just a failure in leadership from the top of our goverment. People complain that the reaction of the goverment wasn't swift and was rather slow, truth is the response was rather quickly, but several troops were waiting for the order for over 36 hours!! Bush claims that nobody was expecting that severe of a storm, yet every meteorologist in the country was saying what was going to happen! Sorry to go on the rant folks, but as a Republican, it's getting harder and harder for me to support our President.

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I just heard some info that I'm going to research that, if true, is a real embarrassment for the city mothers and fathers of New Orleans.

Like I said, if true.

The only reason I'm even bothering with the quest is because of the sanctimonious posturing of their mayor against everyone else who isn't the mayor.

Okay, here it is from Hugh Hewitt's website:

"The Red Cross is confirming to [Major]Garrett that it had prepositioned water, food, blankets and hygiene products for delivery to the Superdome and the Convention Center in the immediate aftermath of the hurricane, but were blocked from delivering those supplies by orders of the Louisiana state government, which did not want to attract people to the Superdome and/or Convention Center. Garrett has no paper trail yet, but will follow up on his verbal confirmation from sources at the highest levels of the Red Cross."

So, at first blush it appears that help was there, ready to go, and turned away in what may have been a breathtaking lack of vision.

I heard the interview and the transcript will be posted on Radioblogger.com later on today. It was a pretty compelling interview.

ML