hurting the embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Amir, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Amir

Amir New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    Israel
    I know there have been a lot of topics about hurting the trumpet's embouchure if playing on enother instrument like tube or trombone.
    But my question is if playing the saxophone can hurt the trumpet's embouchure in any way.
    someone here have any expirience on playing also the sax?
    If it matters, I play the trumpet for 7 years

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Amir,
    when I was in high school I played primarily trumpet and Bari Sax on the side. It actually helped me to learn to transpose. My embouchure had NO problems becaused I did not steal time from the trumpet. My girlfriend also played sax, so we had an additional common denominator.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Gee, I wonder if the girlfriend is why Robin added saxophone.

4. Amir

Amir New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    Israel
    thanks, the embouchure thing bothered me for a while...
    and the sax even helping me learning how to transpose and it's a chick magnet?! Sounds great! P:
    just kidding. ;)
    oh, and I think that the bari sax is one of the coolest and funkyest woodwinds on earth!

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Interesting post. Other than the use of too much pressure on a constant basis, it there anything that can "hurt" one's embochure?

6. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    Yeah, prolonged exposure to kenny G.

7. Amir

Amir New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    Israel
    oljackboy, lol!
    and gbdeamer, I heard that when a trumpet player that is not "mature" plays also trombone or something like that, it can shift he's embouchure because it's not really permanent or something like that...

8. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    If you've got an open mind about music, you should check out the band "Menomena". They're an indie rock band with prominent use of the Bari Sax. Their syncopated Bari Sax/Bass Guitar unisons are sweeter than honey

9. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    I've been messing around on a tuba for a month now and played a baritone for TubaChristmas a few months back, and neither had an effect on my trumpet chops. I'm still getting plenty of time with the trumpet since I play it in the community band, but I'm just having fun with the newness of an old tuba.

10. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    There is a clip on youtube where Maynard plays trumpet, valve trombone and baritone - all in the same tune. Granted it's Maynard, but . . .