Hymn Book?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Snorglorf, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I've seen hymn books recommended here for practicing with. Which one is the standard one everyone talks about?

I see the Hal Leonard Hymn Fake Book. is that right?

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    they probably mean the hymn book at your church. Good way to learn C transposition.

3. Snorglorf

Nov 13, 2008
    I don't go to church. I'm not religious. :p

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    OK, what was the hymn book in reference too. It may have been suggested as a source of easy tunes but there are other sources.

5. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Well, here's the info on the hymn book I've got. If you're looking to get one, maybe you can write to them, or look online (maybe used?):

"Hymns for the Family of God," Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing (1976). ISBN 0-89477-000-4. Phone: 1-800-846-7664. Address: 365 Great Circle Road, Nashville, TN 37228. :play:

6. Snorglorf

Nov 13, 2008
    Yeah, just for easy tunes/chorales to work on breath support/phrasing/tone etc.

I've got a book with a few chorales in it (there's about 5), and I've got the Arbans duets, but nobody else to play with. However I'd like something I can just leave on my music stand and sightread new easy tunes each day. I like hymns because they're for the most part beautiful emotional slow melodies, rather than just some scalic exercise crap that you get from the normal method books meant for beginners.

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Even if you are not religious, you can buy them. I have seen in many thrift stores old sets of hymnals from various denominations that are very cheap. I imagine ebay has many. I would recommend those from the Lutheran, Episcopal, Reformed Churches, Methodists, Presbyterians,etc. many of which contain a wide variety of songs.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  8. Snorglorf

Nov 13, 2008
    Haha, I know that. I was just wondering if there is a standard to go by or if anything would get the job done. I believe it was Rowuk who I heard mention "the hymn book" as a definitive object rather than "a hymn book"

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Music Minus One has the Arban's duets with a play along CD. If fact all they have are play along CDs. Check out their web site. you have to order from them. The Canadian Brass has some play along solo CDs at Amazon.com. In fact there's a lot of stuff out there with play along CDs. Are you close to a music store that carries band instruments. They may have some of these books. If you just want something to play try 40 Porgressive Etudes by Sigmund Herring, Pub. by Carl Fischer. Starts easy and gets harder. Very nice simple melodies. Also a book called "Fun With the trumpet" by Mel Bay. lots of easy songs we've all heard. I use these with my students. These are the ones I can recommend. I sure others will add to the list.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Snorglorf, If you decide to visit a book store, particularly a second hand book store, search out your books in the religion section, instead of the music section, you'll find there will be a price (small) advantage.