Hymn Book?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Snorglorf, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Making you play hymns is the first step
    in God´s working you over, Snorglorf . . .

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

2. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    I have the Lutheran Hymn Book and it's full of great simple tunes. It's the original black one, not the suppliment (red).

3. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yea, I use hymn books for simple songs to play and practice breathing and phrasing.

I also benefit from the sight reading part of it all. my book has over 900 hymns from the oldies to modern ones. Although I am one of many song leaders at church I obviously don't know them all.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Who said that you have to be religious to go to church? I have on many occasions suggested using the hymn book. I grew up with a steady diet of the Lutheran from the Lutheran Church of America.
    The Hymnbook is a compilation (maybe one of the greatest ever) of tunes from all over the world and through almost every musical era. Not being familiar with its contents is a loss to any person interested in the arts in general. These are beautiful tunes and verses that have withstood the test of time. You owe it to yourself to become familiar with these tunes.
    I really like the Lutheran hymnal because it has decent 4 part harmony that works well with mixed ensembles!

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    let's don't go there!

6. irishcornetboy

irishcornetboy Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2008
    If it's chorals you want you might want to try Bach and Before for band. Loads of chorals with four parts each.

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Go check out one of the larger local churches in your area and ask to chat with the music director. Chances are they will have a box full of old hymnals sitting in a closet and will be more than happy to give you one. That is how I got mine!!