Hymnbook in Bb ???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Aug 13, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Does anyone know where to get a big hymnbook (600+ songs) in the key of Bb???

A Hopeful Turtle

2. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
  3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Do you find transposition to concert pitch so that you are in tune with the piano or organ to be so difficult? I have been doing it since I was eight years old and I am now seventy four. All that you have to do is play the written hymn up one tone while deleting two flats or adding two sharps. I do the vast majority of my at home practice from one of several hymnals that I have, transposing each of them.

OLDLOU>>

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey OldLou, I've been playing the trumpet for 5 months and the only thing I find easy about it is typing on my computer in this forumn. In the last months I've given up wondering why, after a lifetime of playing instruments in C (guitar, drums, flute, voice, etc.) I now have to be in Bb. My musician friends (all of them in C) are highly sympathetic and sometimes ask me why I don't play a C trumpet. Well, the jazz guys played Bb trumpets ..... I wanna play jazz.:dontknow:

And Bill, thanks for those links .... Looks promising.

Turtle

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Okay, playing is hard for you. Why not take what you are working on and raising them one step from time to time?

6. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Get some manuscript paper and pick a tune and transpose it on paper, that should help you get used to it, and make it easier to do it in your head as you play.

7. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    turtlejimmy, are you going to be playing the hymns by yourself, or are you going to be playing with other musicians?

If you are playing the music by yourself, you don't even need to transpose! It doesn't matter if the original part was written for a Bb Trumpet, an Eb Alto Sax, a Violin, or a bunch of Bagpipes. Just play it as written. The only time you have to worry about transposing is if you are going to be playing with instruments pitched in different keys. But you can pick that up later.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hi Brassplayer,

I would have to say mostly by myself, at this point. I've just seen the recommendation to get a hymnbook so often in here that it must be a great thing for the developing trumpet player ... Lots of songs that aren't too difficult to read through and play. I don't think the walls of my practice room care if I'm on the same pitch as the church down the road .... That's a very helpful idea, thanks. :-)

Turtle

9. Back at it

Back at it Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2010
    Western, NY
    The UCC "Hew Century Hymnal" is quite good and large. The Methodist Hymnal, updated is good also. These are large volumes. There are many fine hymnals out their. My thought when I bought one was which one is the biggest with the most hymns.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I didn't say it was hard for me. It's just that, as a beginner, there's a lot to think about, just to make a note. Maybe transposing can wait ... Here's hard:

Trying to sing on key in a very loud and chaotic environment where you can't hear the monitor well, when you are doing all the lead vocals, while playing a drum set. That means singing into a microphone (which is a little awkward while playing drums) while playing cymbals (riding, crashing, splashing and such) with one hand, the snare drum with another, covering the hi-hat with the left foot and (hopefully) doing something interesting with the right (on the bass drum). Here's where you really appreciate a great BASS PLAYER, who keeps you in the pocket while struggling (to hear) with the singing. Phew!

Turtle