Hypothetical question about horn section etiquette

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bwanabass, Apr 20, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A guest conductor expecting a high G (one octave above G on the staff) is absurd from a community band first trumpet let alone a third.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Oh my... the slur is whole notes in 4/4 from the G on the 4th space of the bass clef to the G in just the first space above the treble clef! What will I do? My answer is go to the bathroom as that is the place to crap. Now with COPD I'd be lucky to reach the D in the space below the treble staff. Shucks, the 8 tied measure eupth drone I once did in a Christmas Carol is now just a memory, that I'll now be unable to reprise.

One of the many reasons I even continue to play, is that I've never seen any music with a slur such as I first stated here. Remember ladies and gentlemen that in such a slur you'd have to slide through every whole note twixt and between. No breaks for a breath!

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
  4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Improbable, yes ... Impossible, No. Gee toby, I've still got ownership of that one in all four pockets of my blue jeans ... and I really believe you do also, but in your own blue jeans ... not mine.

That's just the note in the first space above the treble staff! IMO thirds and fourths should be able to play this as well (if not better) than seconds, firsts and/or leads.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well I was responding to KTs post about playing a "high G" in community band. We may have a failure to communicate. Which G was that conductor speaking of? The one on the staff OR the one an octave higher (that many people refer to as high G)? The latter I have not seen in any community scores I've played to date.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    If I'm not mistaking, there were earlier references to "high C". And then to the G above that. To the best of my recollection, there is only one "high C". That would make "high G" the one above that, which is four ledger lines above the staff.

This came up in another thread, and I still can't fathom a concept that would challenge players in a section to play high G (G above high C) in a community band setting unless that community band is as versatile as some of the service bands. And even then, in that situation, there's no way the conductor is going to ask his professional players to do that. He'll ask one player who has a solid G to do it.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So my "confusion" with KTs comment. I do not think he meant what he said or I reeeeeally misunderstood!

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I was just thinking about it. G below low C is "low G". The G in the middle of the staff is "middle G". That would make the G on the top of the staff, "high G", no?

Actually, I'm not sure I've ever called it that, but rather "G above the staff".

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Keep working at it ol' Kingtrumpet, and someday, maybe, just maybe, they will be calling YOU the G-man. [Bwanabass, that's how I'd handle it!]

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And my favorite is their grape drink!