Hypothetical question about horn section etiquette

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bwanabass, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Hi C is good, but deep down, I have always wanted to see a boxing match between the Kool Aid Man and the Hawaiian Punch guy.

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I thought that was where mutinies occurred.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Practising means stabbing the other players in the back...

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    trumpet Sail the Seven Cs Book and CD
    Based on this info, the logical conclusion is what you stated, G above the staff (not high G).

5. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    The section leader (if there is one) is in charge of deciding who plays what. It's their job to put their personal ego aside for the good of the section and the band. I've played in several bands where the section leader plays 3rd or 4th....they're not always lead players. If the band isn't set up that way, the band director SHOULD be listening and making sure people can "hack it" with their respective positions. If there's no section leader and the band director seems uninterested or oblivious to the problem, it might not be the type of band you're interested in.

Kingtrumpet is also correct; many community bands are almost like a social club where the common interest is music as opposed to discussing cigars or old cars. I think you're well within your rights as a member of the band to suggest articulations, phrasing, attacks...things like that. As long as you're addressing the section then the worst they can say is that you're a stickler. Maybe people will take note that you're actively refining the quality of the music without singling people out or disparaging them.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    To the OP, I'd just ease into the band and not make any waves at first. After you learn the charts and have (hopefully) developed a good relationship with everyone in the band, then you can begin making "suggestions" to them. If they don't want to listen, and are inferior players with no desire to improve, then you have a couple choices - if it's fun, just accept it for what it is and stay in the band, and if it isn't fun, find a better band to join.

7. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks to all, and to Dale, who really captured my perspective in his post. After I'd posted here and began reading through responses, it occurred to me that I was probably being an over-anxious nimrod. I've let my over active type 'A' personality step in and commandeer my view this new opportunity, overshadowing the tremendous fun that I have had in the process. I thank everyone who took the time to respond here.

I will ease in, have fun, improve in the process, and hopefully make friends and entertain some people in the process.

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi kingtrumpet,
    You stated:
    "a guest conductor came and challenged us trumpet players to the High G at the end of one song."
    ---
    I don't see the logic of this kind of behavior unless it's designed to belittle and demean people. What's a better approach? Ask who feels comfortable or "I really need someone on that high G". Putting people on the spot usually has the reverse effect on me. Eventhough I can play high G's till the cows come home, If I'm asked in a way that hurts or belittles others, I'll decline. I had this sort of thing happen once. After the rehearsal, I told the director to go and f*** himself and if he ever bothed me to perform again, I'd have him arrested. I think Albert Ellis said it best when he said "You don't HAVE to!!"
    Dr.Mark

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    That low G in the 4th space of bass clef, stated to be within range of the normal Bb trumpet is my "horror story", as is the elusive F# just below it as is the stated low limit of the Bb trumpet.
    Still, this G may be referred to as a "low G", the G on the second line of the treble clef, middle G", and the one in the first space above the treble clef "high G", and if an octave higher, "double high G". Like picking apples from a tree, I can see at what level I pick the apple from, but it is still an apple ... and likewise it is still a G to me ... and could be on the 1st line of the bass clef for all I care, although don't expect me to play it on my Bb trumpet, but on euph would be easy "picking".

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I usually don't say anything because it's just not worth the negative feedback.
    There's no nice way to tell a section that they stink. Do the gig and if the band stinks
    don't play with them again.

It may seem harsh, but, it's not your job to tell them they stink. That's primarily the director's job,
    and then the principal chair's. If neither one are doing that, then they are incompetent and you don't
    want any part of the group if you are bothered by things like that.