I am back

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Aug 19, 2010.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Keep it up. Eventually your skills will become as good as your ear. What everyone else said about timing and tone, and backing tracks, is valid.

2. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Hi Veery...

Some good things that I see & hear (just my opinion):

- You have a definite sense of style, obviously very much influenced by Chet Baker. It's still developing...but of course Chet was a tough act to follow and not too many players sound just like him. After all, he was unique. Keep working at perfecting it.

- You're playing complete musical phrases, starting and finishing most of them nicely. This is good.

- You seem to have a fairly good control over the notes within your range, without too much strain between high and low notes. Again, a good thing.

Some suggestions (again, just my opinion):

You might want to try working out the notes of some of your favourite and easier Chet Baker solos by ear...or find, download and print out some of the online transcriptions of his solos and then play along with the appropriate recording until you can play along perfectly, note for note, while copying his phrasing. This takes a lot of patience and repetition, but the results will be worth it.

If you can think of singing through the horn, perhaps imagining yourself as a vocalist, it will help you play smoother and longer phrases that are consistent in tone from beginning to end. This will help your breath support and control.

It's difficult to tell from the recordings, but your tone seems to have a bit of an airy quality. Be sure to listen to lots of other top trumpet players playing lots of melodies, and pay close attention to the quality of their sound. Most people would agree that Baker had a unique & recognizable sound, but most players these days prefer (and need) a much more solid and versatile sound.

It's impossible to tell from the recordings if you follow a practice routine, but if not, I recommend scales and some sort of studies, etc. These will develop your technique as well as improve your accuracy and consistency (things we all work on).

And of course, find a good teacher who can guide and assist you on the way.
    Best of luck, and keep practicing!

3. jim trpt1

jim trpt1 Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2010
    greensboro nc
    Work on breathing , endurance and getting the neighbors some good quality ear plugs:shock:

4. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Dang! My apologies Veery, I meant to address my comments to Chet Fan. No confusion intended...and the next time you're in Ottawa, Canada, a tall cold Canadian brew's on me!

5. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Check some of your rhythms in Dizzy Atmosphere, they sound a bit weird. Maybe I'm just over tired.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    No umbrage taken, glennx, but you'll have to drink it yourself 'cause I gave it up. But here's to you, anyway!
    Nice critique for chetfan, too.

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I agree with what everyone else has said about improving your playing, but please find a good teacher and work with them. We on the internet can not give you the help you need. Get a good teacher.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    According to the Youtube page, Chet Fan resides in Croatia - not sure how many teachers he might have available.

I didn't hear the initial vid clips or audio clips or whatever it was that was posted, but if you've improved, I take your word for it and applaud the improvement.

Having said that, take things back to basics for a bit, work on long tones, proper usage of air, and most importantly, articulation. There is a fair amount of "foof" in your articulation and fuzziness in your sound, so there is a lack of focus going on. Long tones until you are blue in the face (not literally - figure of speech) and basic tonguing exercises will go a long way toward banishing those things from your sound.

Good work - just stay dedicated, keep after it and keep loving music - that's all we can really do, right? :-)

9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    ChetFan

As you are from Croatia, I feel a few things falling into place.
    A few years ago, I was in Montenegro, (neighbor state of Croatia), and heard
    a lot of music with complicated strong rhythms which was a bit difficult to follow
    until: I heard the music in context on a show with a folklore dancing group.
    Then the rhythms made sense. (The style was very staccato-ish).

After this show, there was a band playing “international” dance music.
    Watching one of the fabulous folklore dancing girls in action on the
    dance floor was an interesting experience. From being a star, she was a total
    car crash trying to dance the “simple” rhythms from the “international” dance band.

So, my point is that if you normally play “eastern Europe style music”,
    it will take a bit of time to convert into for example Chet Bakers style.
    Listen to, and play along to recordings and try to copy what the performer does.
    Also listen to how he/she is forming the notes, slurred, tongued, soft/hard attacks
    and so on.

Following trickg's advice on long tones will help you a lot too.

Keep up your work, and good luck!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Big mistake,
    we did not "slam" you. You asked for an opinion and we gave you some contructive criticism.

Most all of the points have been mentioned. I would add that based on what you posted that your primary issue is that the tune is not the message. It sounds like you are trying to prove something and that the melodies are secondary. The basic melody to send in the clowns is so beautiful, that one has to be very careful about adding anything.

What is missing in your playing examples is what I basically teach my students first: intonation, timing, melodic direction. Those things are not specific to any country. They are specific to first things first.