I am back

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    I am an amateur who plays cornet just for self-satisfaction.
    I love to do it, in fact I have to do it, because it is a means of self-expression that I put my heart and soul into.
    Even if nobody else wants to hear me play, I must still play because it means so much to me.

You have your own idea of what tone you want to have,
    you have your own idea of what style you want to have,
    and you should continue to pursue that,
    even if nobody else understands it or appreciates it.

In his own lifetime, Vincent van Gogh never sold even one painting,
    except for the one his sold to his own brother,
    because people viewing his paintings did not appreciate them.
    But Vincent felt compelled by his love of painting to continue painting anyway.

Pursue your own tone and your own style according to your own heart,
    regardless of whether other people appreciate it.

Of course, that assumes that you will always be a soloist.
    Because if you ever need to join a band,
    then you will immediately have to start conforming to the tone and style that others demand of you.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Blow your own sound and enjoy it, if you ask others to comment you will always get different opinions.
    If you want to sound like chet baker then you need to play or sing along. i can sing along and sound like chet but as for playing like him i cant even come close. maybe one day i will get some of it but for now am content to keep improving and sounding better, to me. good luck and keep practicing.
    steve

3. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Hi guys thenk you for all responses I apperciate it. But there are three things that need to be cleared.

1.Time. I am aware that my time is wrong. But it is the life long bad habit when I played other instruments earlier in my life. When I was playing various etudes, I alwasy tended to rush it so I would finish sooner. Because I was stillyoung and stupid. I know that it is wrong and stupid, but it is a habit that cannot go away. But I am not worried because when I play accompanied with a drummer (you can see there are drums behind me) than my time is perfect -because his time is perfect and I just follow along, and never miss a beat. Even if I want I cannot miss because when I played accompained it seems just natural to follow the drummers time. Next time I will record along with him -so you will see the difference. But when I play alone I just tend to wonder off and I loose my time.

2. Chet Baker's style is not what want form my playing. I am his huge fan but I do not want to sound like him, I prefer more powerfull guys like Hirt or Sandoval or Gillespie, infact only Summertime slow version is Chet Baker's, Clown's are Hirt (I found transcription here on TM it is Al Hirts version and all the add-ons are his, not mine) Dizzy atmosphere is dizzy's and actually again on TM I found inspirationa because wiseone2 posted a clip of Clifford Brown's practice and there Cliffored plays a bit od Dizzy atmosphere by the end of video #1

3.I changed my repertoire since I last posted here, because I discovered that all of the bad habits actually sneaked into the repertoire so it was basically impossible for me to improve if I stick to the repertoire. So I decided to forget the repertoire (four and how high the moon) and just stick to basic; long tones, scales, patterns, stamp book and sandoval book for a while (two months) and then to learn new repertoire. And it was immediately better old bad habits gone, like lousy breath support and not swinging.

4. I hate balkan rythms, actually montenegro is quite different from croatia, at least the part where I live in, but that folkish music is always on the radio so it goes into your ear whether you want it or not, although I try to avoid it as much as possible.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    By the way, it's pretty gutsy to post up video clips of your playing like that - only a few other folks here on the board will do that, and then of course are the few like Wilmer who don't have to because we hear their playing on the radio all the time. :D

5. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I do not want to cause a flame war here, but I must say that I do not understand that mentality. What can I lose by posting videos of my playing? -absolutely nothing! What can I gain? -everything! including precious advices.

Last time I lost some confidence I admit but only for a while, few days. On the otherhand I improved massively, and infact the flame war we had here (not with you but with some other users that I forgot who they were -there is thread but I wouldnt bother to seek for it) only gave me very strong motivation to improve. And I am not done I will post again in few months time.

So you can only gain in the end. If I never posted in the first place (like that romanian/or bulgarian cant remember atm guy advised) I would still be playing like I was there would be no improvement whatsoever.

So that is why I cannot understant, and cannot accept that logic of not posting. it is not that I have to take care of my PR. I'm not professional musician, I'm accountant what do I care about PR, I only want to ply trumpet as best as I could, and have fun playing with my band. So what can I lose?

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The problem that we have here on this board is the boatload of armchair critics who love to pick someone apart and point out every little thing they perceive as a flaw, and it's for that reason that folks don't post up clips of their playing. It's tough to allow yourself to be torn up like that because it usually happens in such a negative way that it's hard to take anything positive from it, even though identifying flaws are part of the process.

I think that there is a lot to like about you as a musician - while it's true that you do have some areas to work on, who doesn't? Even the greats continue to strive to improve their playing, and the first step to any of it is awareness that there are things to work on. There is almost no better way to do that than with the instant feedback you get from a recording, and by allowing others to critique it as well. It's one of the ways I work to improve as a drummer because I get a sound board recording of every church service I play.

Keep up the hard work!

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Was that really called for?

8. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    There's a lot of truth to that. While many on boards such as this profess to being supportive, they are in fact by and large an insecure, competitive lot.

And I also agree with Patrick here in that I can here the musicality in your playing even if the technique isn't on par to match it (yet). Just that alone gives you a huger foot up on most of the players I hear routinely.

Keep it up!

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    One other reason I wouldn't post clips here is that I have a teacher, actually two of them, and I pay them to give me the feedback which you may be unable to get in Croatia. Were I your neighbor (well, then we could help each other) I would probably do the same thing.

But if you keep alert you may yet find someone there who can give you some lessons, and there is nothing like a real live teacher in the same room with you.

Don't under any circumstances be intimidated by folks here. Take the positive and disregard the rest. Music is a gift from God and it belongs to everyone.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's subjective - I had a high school band director who was an absolute boob as a teacher, and gave me advice in two sessions I took with him (I only went twice - it was that bad) that was actually incorrect from a musical standpoint. My instincts were telling me one thing, but he kept insisting on the other. I then did research on my own that confirmed what my instincts had been telling and that I confirmed with a friend of mine - my K-6 general music teacher - and that was that. I presented my findings to him at the beginning of my third session and never went back.

Just because someone has been granted or claims the title "teacher" doesn't mean that they actually know what they are talking about and those people can do more harm than good.