I am back

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Aug 19, 2010.

1. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    A. Nothing wrong with gliding into a tone. But then you have to HOLD that tone.
    B. Both Vizzuti and Bergeron play jazz, classical, damn near anything you put in front of them. Wayne's big band work is highly recommended listening for sound, time and phrasing. Maynard called him his most musical lead player, and for good reason.

Finally, your attitude about certain genres of music is represensible to me. If I were to walk into a session and lambast classical music and training I'd be tossed out on my ass. Why? Because everyone I sit next to went to a conservatory, studied the classics and still do. Read the Booker Little interview on Allaboutjazz.com or any quotes from Clifford Brown. They studied the classics and knew their Arbans up and down. Nat Adderley, same thing. Lew Soloff, same thing. Wynton, same. Music is music.

ed

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Chet Fan,

Nice song! Good choice! I have yet to hear a version of It Never Entered My Mind (singing) that was as beautiful as when Miles or Chet play it on the trumpet.

Advice? I'm a beginner .... what do I know. Good on you for putting it out there. Trumpets are for extroverts!:play: (see below)

Turtle

3. RICKTUNE

RICKTUNE New Friend

Aug 20, 2010
    I admire your obvious love of the instrument and your determination. Remember, it's all about the music, and that comes from within you. Cool dude!

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I sure agree. Too bad you're in Croatia, I'd play with you.

You can learn a lot on YouTube. I don't own any CDs except the ones in my books that I can't get this computer to play, so YouTube is my go-to source for songs.

And at least you can record yourself! I can't do that. The mic on this computer is busted, apparently. If I get some kind of external mic that works with it, some kind of USB mic, then I'm good to go except it costs money I don't have. My best method of recording right now will be either a web cam that works with an older Apple computer, or, get a tape recorder from a thrift store and use that. Recording and listening to yourself is supposed to be a VERY GOOD way to learn and you are doing it.

The people here are very helpful especially Rowuk. :thumbsup:

5. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    can you please point me the exact moments where I do a bad pitch, like minute and second where I glide and waver pitch, so that I can identify it. thank you.. Just pint me like for egzample video 2 minute 1:33 or something like that. It would be helpfull. thank you

6. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I admire that your first ever post on this boards was intended for me. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

thank you:-)

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Respectfully, that would take too much time. Just start at the beginning of the 2nd video. It takes you a few bars before you hit even one note on pitch.

Work on breath support. Play long tones with a tuner. Work on fundamentals. You have to walk before you can run.

Your musicianship is light years ahead of your trumpet playing so you have to give your chops some time to catch up.

8. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    ok I have been practicing long tones, and I was concentrating on pitch
    like this
    YouTube - longtones
    YouTube - longtonesscale
    is it ok, or am I doing it wrong?

than I recorded clowns with metronome, just to see the difference, and I left out all of my add-ons
    YouTube - clownsmetronome

than I learned a new tune "whats new" I recorded it, and I was concentrating on pitch mostly
    YouTube - whatsnew

Than I recorded "pink panther" again concentrating on pitch
    YouTube - pinkpanther

than I recorded again "it never entered my mind" but this time with metronome to see if it is any better
    YouTube - itneverenteredmetronome

and then I recorded a tune called "recuerdos do alhambra" one of my all time favourites, I recorded it just to experiment with tongue a bit. What I did with tongue is that I tried to do some vibrato with tongue /legato tonguing to immitate guitar vibrato, Im not sure wether it is allowed, so I ask you do I continue this kind of tonguing, or can it be dangerous for my playing.
    YouTube - recuerdos