I am curious now

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I went to the ZeuS site a few weeks ago, and to tell you the truth, I discounted it. I was expecting to shell out $3000-plus for the horn I have been seeing in my dreams (Except in my dreams, the trumpet shoots laser beams and saves the world from the evil BLOG monsters, but no matter :D .) Also, the way your website was presented made me apprehensive (The title of your raw brass ZeuS page, for instance, was "Wild Thing Trumpet"...) The other custom trumpet webpages I have visited (From Flip Oaks to Eclipse, from the Monette Raja to the Edwards Generation X, I have looked EVERYWHERE!) had all the little website bells and whistles (The table sections you select would highlight, all that stuff...)
    After reading some of these posts praising your horn, my interest has been rekindled. Tomorrow morning I plan on calling one of your dealers to pick his brain about all the specifics. Will get back to you all on this..

2. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    Interesting post!

By all means, contact a dealer, and they will certainly be able to "tell you all about it!" The ZO's really are fantastic trumpets, and I am sure that you would be pleasantly surprised if given the opportunity to try one.

Concerning all the "bells and whistles" on the websites...we (or at least "I") could go that route, spend a lot, etc...but it would make no difference on how the trumpet performs! I think that we all would rather provide the information to you (the prospective customer) in an economical fashion, so that we could concentrate of putting the $$ to its best use...making a GREAT horn, and keeping them in stock!

Blessings,

3. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Yes, I am a bit too concerned over bells and whistles.

Okay, I called a dealer in Tuscaloosa (Spelling?). Couldn't get anyone, so I called the HQ.

I guess I pissed him off.

I mentioned the two horns I have played on before, and the fellow said something about the ZeuS "NOT BEING JUST A THIRD TRUMPET TO OWN!!".

Okay, I MENTIONED that to give the man some idea of what I had been used to playing beforehand. The first horn I owned, a Holton Maynard Ferguson, was good, but I thought the sound a bit too bright. I might also mention that I sold the damned thing, since owning two trumpets before getting a ZeuS sends someone off...
    The horn I have been playing for five years now is a standard Bach Strad 37. It has been a great horn, and has paid my tuition at college.

However, I have discovered that maybe Bach Strads aren't the greatest trumpets God put on earth. With my last instructor, I noticed his horn, while silver, had a raw brass leadpipe.
    "What is that?"
    "It's a Blackburn leadpipe on my Bach Strad."
    "Why'd you do that?"
    "Here, try it."
    I tried it. Not only was it much easier to hit the "slots" on the higher notes, but tone was drastically improved.

I spoke with my band director about why the blackburn was better. He (Being a band director) got into a long-winded discussion about how Bach Strads and most name-brand trumpets are mostly manufactured, and how hand-built parts improve the sound, lalala..

So I ordered a Blackburn leadpipe of my own (20-taper, in yellow brass.) I loved it. But then three nights ago, a thought dawned on me.

"What if there's something better?"

I didn't play-test either horns I have had before, mainly because of location. To merely stop on the FIRST thing I like is foolish. I have checked all the custom trumpet websites (as I've mentioned before), and you guys are the ones I've called.

However, when talking to whoever it was, I said something wrong, and really pissed him off. I'm not looking for another horn to fill my gig bag (don't have one, think they're ugly), I'm looking for the horn that I won't let anyone else play on...
    (Guy: "Come on Van, just ONE SCALE!"
    Me: "NO! It's my PRECIOUS... *Begins gargling sound*")

I also tried to start mentioning what I liked about the Olympus, and stopped me on the Amado keys.

"YOU SHOULDN'T BUY A HORN JUST FOR THE WATER KEYS!"

Everything else is nice too!! Damn, I know I'm not a public speaker by any stretch of the imagination, but I didn't say anything that aggravating.
    I have been told by three different dealers that amado keys improve intonation and help the sound. I was trying to mention that before my head was further chewed upon....

If whoever I spoke to on the phone is on this site, I apologize for saying something to set you off. I understand that this isn't just a plaything, since you must have thought thats what I was looking for. I blame myself mostly, I am not good at speaking on the phone (I can check my sentences while writing.)

And I know I sort of ranted. It was an upsetting experience, I don't like dealers to treat me like a moron, they should understand that I WANT to understand. Some places in the United States (NAMELY MY PLACE) don't have experts who teach people the ins and outs of the trumpet. Some dealers (Mainly dealers around me) are looking only for profit. Some people (NAMELY ME) are shoved a horn and told to play good. Some people (NAMELY WHOEVER I SPOKE TO) don't understand that.

Enough. I'm out. Thanks for the reply, Reverend.

4. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Jeez, third post on this board and I'm already agitated... :)

I will tell you, Reverend, what I want in this trumpet i am dreaming about. In the college I am attending this fall, I will be playing mostly lyrical, lead trumpet-esque music. I would like something a bit more suited to that. If it could still play in a jazz ensemble, that would be kicking, too. Kaz Samujlo in his review mentioned the copper bell and it worth in the playing I have mentioned. Just curious.

5. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    Well, I wasn't privy to the telephone conversation, so I will instead focus on what I do know!

It sounds to me like you are looking for a new trumpet that will give you a certain "sound." I think that you are in the right area. I ZO will certainly help you to achieve the "sound and style" of playing that you are seeking.

All of the ZO's, with the right mouthpiece combination, can give you a sizzling lead sound with edge, or the most soulful ballad sound you have ever heard! Typically, a silver finish will make a "bright" sound even brighter, while a copper bell will make a "dark" sound even darker. Brass falls somewhere in between.

The suggestion of the copper bell is fine! I own a copper bell ZeuS Guarnerius - what a great sounding instrument! I also own a brushed silver ZeuS Olympus - also fantastic! With the ZG, I use a deeper mouthpiece, to assist in obtaining a "darker" tone. On my ZO, I use a shallow mouthpiece, to help with the "sizzle and edge" sound that I seek when playing that instrument!

It is all a matter of personal preference. The overwhelming factor that will influence your sound is mouthpiece depth.

I am more than happy to assist you further, should you desire my help. if you want to speak with me, you can reach me at the telephone number listed on my website!

Blessings,

6. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Okay, I'll make a point to call ya Monday.

7. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey Heavens,
    I was just looing through the website and found your post about an agravating telephone call to whomever.. Forget them and call up Rev. He's the one that sold me my ZO, and ZFH. They are both wonderful horns and Rev is a wonderful person. I'm glad I my friends "made" me try out his products at TMEA. LOL. Take it easy on me Rev, just spreadin' the love. Peace all.

Tim "the bear"

8. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Aye, now that I've slept on it awhile, I'll just let it slide, the guy was Canadian after all ( :wink: )..

Yeah, now the problem will be talking an immediate family member into letting me use their credit card for the trial (I need to make a point of getting my own credit card sometime.....).

9. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Oops! Couldn't call ye today, sorry Reverend...

I remember reading something about ZeuS buying older trumpets or using them towards the purchase of on of your horns?

10. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    That is true! ZMI recently started the "Used for ZeuS" program, which may be able to assist you! It is still in it's infancy stages, but just may be what you are looking for.

Please send me a private email if you want more info!

Blessings,