I am having tons of problems with my playing.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Practice, May 5, 2012.

1. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Get with a good teacher and take lessons. Keep your head in the sound and always in the sound. And then when your done still keep your head in the sound. The body is a slave to the mind. Have a great sound in your mind and your body will produce that beautiful sound. Yes it is that simple.
    Again get with a good teacher. And keep your head in the sound. Don't worry about all that stuff you described that's what lessons are for. And if you keep your head into making a beautiful sound your issues will resolve over practice and time.
    Again, yes it is that simple.

2. Practice

Practice New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    Texas
    I do have a teacher and she is a really good one at that. During lessons, the exercises she gives me promotes keeping a full and equal sound throughout the line and i am able to play with ease and not much back-pressure. She even plays to give me an idea of how it is supposed to sound like, free and relaxed, not really trying much. It is just that whenever i practice and try to get the same results or even better, the opposite happens.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  3. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Yup your on the right track. Just don't get frusterated. If need be walk away relax go listen to some good trumpet music. Come back try again. Just keep that sound in your head at all times. Imagine it going from your mind and though your horn. It WON'T be perfect overnight. But with continued practice and PATIENCE you will get better. Sounds like your doing everything right. Just keep up the good work. Best of luck.

4. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    It doesn't sound to me like this is related to your braces, my guess is just a more general lack of fundamentals.

I think rowuk's on the right track -- get back to fundamental embouchure stabilizing and building. He also makes another good
    point......stop trying to analyze the problem so much as just deal with it on an organic level.

Also, your mouthpiece is not a problem. If you're feeling tight on a 3c, something's not right in the embouchure dept.

bigtiny

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Practice, you say that it's been a little longer than 5 months since your braces were removed. You should not be having the problems you've describe after this length of time. Something is missing. From what you describe the problems sound like you are lacking in some fundamental technique. This issues should have been addressed in the first month after your braces were removed. Actually they should have been addressed in the first lessons with your teacher. You say that your teacher is great and shows you how to get a full sound, but when you go home you can't repeat this. That means you are not learning how to do this on your own. If you are not learning then you are not being taught. No teaching occurs if no learning takes place. Have you discussed this with your teacher and what do they say?

6. Practice

Practice New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    Texas
    Unfortunately i haven't discussed this with my teacher, i don't know why, but this week yes i am going to DEFINITELY talk to her about this. The first day of lessons with no braces, she had told to take things easy, as did the assistant band director, who is also a trumpet player. Long tones and other easy exercises during practices. It is my fault that i hadn't told her about this in the first place and tried to figure it out on my known, which i have always done with braces and is solved. I think another reason for these problems is that after i got my braces off, others in the band expected me to be able to play so much more amazingly well like shortly afterwards and so i wanted to prove them right.
    Mostly i wanted a shortcut to getting back to how i was before when i still had braces. :-(

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You NEVER will get back to how you were before. You will be better, or worse. Your mouth has changed, during the brace period you subconciously adjusted quite a bit to avoid pain.

My suggestion is to start every day with at least 5 minutes of long tones (>20 seconds each), start softly-small crescendo and decrescendo. Then 10 minutes of lipslurs, also played very softly but not slowly. You play both of these "starters" with no tongue attack at the beginning of each note. Think of your breathing as a big circle. The left side going up is inhale and the right side going down is exhale. Notice at the top and bottom, that the circle is ROUND. This is also how YOUR transition from inhale to exhale and exhale to inhale should be - no bumps, no edges. A big breath is a big circle. We always want big circles! The idea of a big breath means that we don't fill up so far that we get tense and get a bumpy transition. No tonguing helps us get our body together at this early stage of playing.

So after this 15 minutes of my "Circle of Breath", long tones and lipslurs, you should play 10 minutes or so of EASY tunes like those you find in a hymnbook. Concentrate on the circle of breath, timing it so you tongue at the very top of the circle - where you change from inhale to exhale. Concentrate on tone, articulation anf flow of the melody. Power and glory tunes are different than sorrow and forgiveness! Make sure that your playing conveys these "simple" messages.

Now you have spent about 25 - 30 minutes on MAINTENANCE. Do this every day and in 4 weeks, your playing will be stronger than ever. After this 30 minutes, you will be in fantastic shape to work on other "technical" things.

More to come soon!

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Outside of braces going on or off, I can't think of a single player who would not benefit from this

9. Practice

Practice New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    Texas
    Ok, lately i have been making some progress. Today i found out that as i get higher, my jaw moves up and will cause double buzz starting from the C in the staff, and i'm trying to not have the jaw move so much and keeping it down. Also, when i get above the G in the staff, i tend to blow wider and overblow, so i narrow it and have as little embouchure movement as i can. Doing lip buzzing sometimes helped me lessen the double buzz also.

Glad i started to be committed with y'all's advice with going back to basic fundamentals.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Well done! You will be better. If I can do it, so can you. Patience, and practice with diligence pays off!