I Am In Need Of a Separate MArching Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ToasterEater, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ToasterEater

ToasterEater New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Hi, im now a freshman, and I have played on a 1978 Benge for 3 Years. :lol: Im starting marching band, and I need another Trumpet. This is a very nice model but im in need of a marching horn because:

*I dont want to leave a Nice horn such as mine unlocked in school slots.
    *I dont want to be out on the field during practice with a horn as nice as this one.

I want to spend no more than $ 400.(But this is not a STRICT number) :-?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Much!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    For a marching band, I would be looking for a good beginner horn. Why beat up something good on a field?

3. ToasterEater

ToasterEater New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Thats exactly what im thinking. Thats why im not using my Benge. What are some "Better" :lol: chinese trumpets?

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    You can get a used Yamaha student horn on Ebay for under $400. That would be a great marching band horn.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Playing outdoors is harder than indoors. I would NOT use a student horn if you normally play a Benge. I think a light horn is better for outdoors because you hear yourself better and THAT will save your chops. A used Getzen Eterna Severinsen model or Yamaha 6xxx series horn is excellent for stuff like this. I am not the vintage horn expert, but I am sure that there are some King, Conn, Olds and Holtons that fit in this category too! Do NOT take a step down in quality from your present horn. Get a light, used pro horn!

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Basically I agree with Rowuk on this but I would suggest this way to find a good marching horn -- take your mouthpiece into a music store and try out used trumpets and find one that will give you the tone and intonation you want on the marching field, regardless of whether it's a Bach Strad or a Yamaha student horn. Personally, I find that Yamaha student horns fit my playing better than a Bach Strad (I play a Besson Brevete model and before that played an Olds Super and the Bach Strads are too resistant for my playing).

An older Olds Ambassador might be just right, as it's a fairly large bore free blowing horn like your Benge.

But in any event I would suggest staying away from Chinese horns -- as a repairman I've seen lots of garbage out of China and actually some very nice horns but there's one major drawback, especially for an instrument which will be used in marching band at football games, and that problem is that there isn't a repair-parts trail for those Chinese horns.

There are only a few musical instrument factories in China, as I've heard things described, but they are huge, beyond anything that those of us in the West can comprehend, and they will make any quality instrument with any features an importer wants and put any brand name an importer wants, but there is no way to order replacement parts. So if your 2nd slide, for example, falls out and gets stepped on and flattened beyond repair, there's no way to get a replacement 2nd slide, and they're not interchangeable usually between different makes, so you can't just use a Yamaha 2nd slide.

So in buying whatever 2nd horn you buy, be sure it's made by a company which has a repair supply chain (Jupiter is about the cheapest I'd suggest you go if you're looking for new but cheap, and I haven't played any of their student trumpets that I'd recommend to anybody).

But to get back to the original question -- don't go for looks or brand/model name, go for musical qualities. If a Bundy gives you the sound you want, then buy it. If it's a used pro-level horn as Rowuk is suggesting, then buy that.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    For marching band I would buy the cheapest playable horn I could find, why waste money on something that's going to get beat up , like rowuk said playing outside is very different from playing inside, so a cheap student trumpet won't affect your playing.

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Two words

Am Bassador

:-?

9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Try here Quality Brass website
    There are many quality horns here and Fred is an honest man. I have purchased used horns from him and they were exactly as advertised.
    He has some that I may inquire about myself.
    Rich T.

10. ToasterEater

ToasterEater New Friend

Aug 5, 2009