I Am In Need Of a Separate MArching Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ToasterEater, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There are two issues here:
    (1) The link that you provided goes to the Altohorn-Mellophone section. Are you looking for this type of horn for under $200 or a trumpet? If it is a trumpet, there are obviously a LOT of choices on their site. I looked through briefly and many of the trumpets for under $200 would be great for what you want to do, except....
    (2) You said you prefer silver. That changes the equation. First, I wonder why you prefer silver for marching. You are a long ways from the audience in the middle of a large group of marchers. No one will be able to tell the color of the horn. Second, as you will note, that choice greatly limits the selection that you have. There were a couple of Kings that are nickel-plated in the $200 range but not much else.

If you drop the silver preference, then many of the trumpets in the Olds, Reynolds, King, Conn and others for $200 or less appear to be excellent choices. These brands have been the staple of marching bands for 100 years so you probably can't go wrong if you ask the seller for some additional details to ensure that it is playable when you receive it (I saw a couple with missing water valves or other minor issues that would need repair work before being playable).

Have fun shopping.

2. ToasterEater

ToasterEater New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Well, definitely a Trumpet, sorry about the link. I guess you're right about the gold thing. Which one would you personally prefer? I'm considering the olds ambassadors.:play:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  3. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Simply not true. Besides, it will be a lot easier to find a used horn with near 100% plating than one with near 100% lacquer-- and nasty brownish-red leprosy is indeed very visible.
    Now nickel-- that looks too close to silver to call and you rarely have to polish it.

4. ToasterEater

ToasterEater New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
  5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
  6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    OK, not ALL marching is far from the audience (it is in the Rose Bowl, though) but my point was that the color of the horn makes little difference while marching.

I suppose this depends on where you look but even if this is true generally, he was asking about those on quality-brass.com and there were few, if any, silver-plated horns under the $200 threshold.

It is if you leave it that way. But, there are cures. If you look at the recent thread on red rot, you can see a photo of one of my horns that came with that nasty color. I did the sodium-carbonate-and-aluminum-foil bath and then polished it. It is now a very beautiful trumpet (though not silver).

I agree. I have one with a nickel-plated bell and after 40 years it does not have a single spot of tarnish or wear on it. And, it sounds great, too.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I would play the horn before buying. you could easly have a horn that will be harder to play than what you are used to. Look around locally.

8. ToasterEater

ToasterEater New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Ok, my neighbor wants to sell me a like new Bach Prelude

http://www.music123.com/Prelude-Student-Bb-Trumpet-465029-i1144556.Music123

FOR $50 to $80!!!

Does this sound good? The reviews look decent for a student horn!

9. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ambassador.....Ambassador.....Ambassador!!!