I am selling my wussy Ferrari to buy an Austin Allegro. Grrrrrr!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I am considering buying some earplugs for playing in my brass band. Behind my seat i have a very strong Rep. cornet player, with some very strong second (cornets);there are times that i think they are using my ears for target practice. How many TMers use earplugs? Which ear plugs give good protection whilst being sympathetic to a musicians' aural demands? Has playing damaged your hearing? I am sure it has damaged mine, and i think it is time to take better care of it.

Cheers

B.U.M

2. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    while i've never used ear plugs during play i do use ear plugs regularly while in my company's fabrication shop and while at the gun range. i use these: Moldex Spark Plugs UF Foam Plugs (NRR 33) - Moldex

they're cheap, nascar endorsed, cancel out a lot of noise (while shooting all you hear is mild crack when you pull the trigger) and come in many stylish colors!! i'm sure you can find them in the uk.

3. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    They do.

2. solo cornets are the ultimate goal for that kind of sports ROFL

4. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
  5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    That is indeed scary. I am 72 YOA and have a pronounced hearing loss, to the point that I wear hearing aids in both ears, but, cannot stand the absolute cacophony during band rehearsal if I wear them then. I tease the teenage girl that I moved up to sit beside me as principal trumpet that I moved her up to be my 'ambulatory hearing aid'. Because the principal trumpet is seated at the far left of the conductor I can't see his mouth to read his lips. In joking, she asked what I would do if she were to drop out of our community concert band. My joking response was that I would find another mouthy and useless teenager to replace her so that I would be able to find out what our condutor is saying.

OLDLOU>>

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Bee You Em,

'Norton' manufacture a neat little ear plug that has a small valve inside to snap closed to "block" loud, sharp, sound 'impact'. The valve 'releases' a little during other times to allow almost normal sound to transmit to the ear - they might help, are reusable, comfortable, washable and quite long lasting, and come in a nice little plastic 'purse' rather like a miniture version on the UMC (Benge) mouthpiece holders. I carry mine in my pocket for work but haven't yet tried them at band ('cos I play in the back row).

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    In the back row of the concert band I played in I could not hear myself playing ( french horn ) took along a sound level meter, most of the time registered 115 db.

Workplace health and safety regulations require hearing protection to be worn over 90db. When I took my industrial ear muffs, I was the butt of much amusement.

Stuart

8. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I always use earplugs at home!

Only take them out when I play . . .

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    When I'm at home - everyone else wears earplugs. ROFL Sorry, a bit obvious, I know.

10. swe1957

swe1957 New Friend

Oct 4, 2008
    Woodford, QLD,Australia
    I bought musicians ear plugs in the 80's. they were moulded for my ears, they reduce the volume but keep the high frequencies. With industrial ear plugs you tend to over blow to compensate.
    I use them now when riding on my John Deere "lawn tractor".