I am selling my wussy Ferrari to buy an Austin Allegro. Grrrrrr!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Oct 27, 2008.

1. TrumpetDude70

TrumpetDude70 New Friend

One of our trombone players wears ear plugs to help cut down on the noise levels, but our principle cornet player often gives me dirty looks when I let loose a top C on my Sop right behind him....... maybe I should buy him some for xmas!!!!

2. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    HEAROS.com

They're what I use in our rock band when the guitars get too "happy"....that's almost always.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Isn't wearing earplugs while making music like taking a bath in a full neoprene wetsuit?

I know that this is easy to say, but how about solving the problem. Music is not only loud and people that do not realize that have something important to learn!

Granted, we took up trumpet to be on better side of the instrument, but getting moderate dynamics colorful is one of the best lessons that an ensemble can learn.

Why create a second problem? You will then play too loudly due lack of feedback and the vicious circle gets even more vicious!

4. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Yes I have these musicians ear plugs too. I bought them not too long ago, because I play violin and believe it or not, it can get very loud. They are a little on the expensive side but it is worth preserving your hearing. I'm sure you don't want to has as much loss as oldlou! It still allows you to hear what your playing very well, but filters out above a certain db and they do not use any type of battery whatsoever.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

Ahaa - the voice of reason - thank you Robin.

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Not all musical experiences are aesthetically ideal. When I play in ensembles that are capable of playing moderate dynamics, I don't wear earplugs. When I play in any situation involving wedge monitors, I use hearing protection. If I have any doubts, I bring hearing protection and use it if it's called for. I'm not willing to sacrifice my (remaining) hearing in an idealistic crusade to try to lower the volume of the environments I play in.

To play with earplugs, you have to practice playing with earplugs. If you never use earplugs and then stick 'em in on the gig, you will play too loud. So practice with earplugs, rehearse with earplugs, and perform with earplugs, at least part of the time.

If you disagree, please feel free to teach all those electric guitarists out there that they don't always have to turn up to 11. While you're at it, please try to do something about the standard club "sound check," where every member of the band asks for more of something in their monitor (never less of everything else) until the sound guy says he can't give any more of anything without uncontrolled feedback. Once you've succeeded, I'll leave the earplugs at home.

7. swe1957

swe1957 New Friend

Oct 4, 2008
    Woodford, QLD,Australia
    I was working with a 12 piece soul band, at a local nightclub on the "grab a granny' night.
    In our breaks the DJ was cranking out the 'hits" at ear splitting volume.
    Who's going to tell a DJ to turn it down?
    All the horn players wore plugs, because we were doing it a few nights a week.
    It was usually the only way we could hear ourselves play.
    i.e blowing your horn and not being able to hear the sound come out of it because everything around you is so loud.

8. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Absolute Gospel-style wisdom. Couldn't have said it better! We have a drummer and guitr player who are losing (have lost?) their hearing. I will not go quietly (get it?) into that dark night....