I am stuck in range and endurance...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stfnylim, Jul 30, 2015.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Me? Grumpy? Never!

But it is true, all 4 of my children (35, 30, 25 and 23) are out of the house each successful in their own way - all with more than a passing relationship to music and very discerning ears.

My current students, from 15 to 53 years old share many traits readily identifiable here,

2. stfnylim

stfnylim New Friend

Sep 8, 2014
    California
    Thank you for taking your time to reply. I think you're absolutely right. Everyone can think that I have no passion for the trumpet from just hearing my horribly late desperate cry. That probably is true and I really need to step up my game and get my priorities straight and this is the perfect reply for me to realize something about life in general. I keep on making excuses that I am busy and busy but it doesn't really help with anything. It's just sometimes I don't realize the mistakes I'm making and I put it off for the last minute.

On the other hand, I think I have found a solution for my problem. Our new assistant band director was a trumpet major and she seems very open to any individual students with playing problems... I just haven't had the guts to go up to her about it (kind of stupid huh?). I'll definitely talk to her during the first day of band camp!!!

THANK YOU AGAIN. Honestly, I needed this reply.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When is the first day of band camp? If you have some time before that - even a week or two - you should absolutely go ask her about it as soon as you can. The sooner you get on the right track getting your fundamentals and foundation improved, the better off you'll be. While improvement doesn't happen quickly, changing your approach to a more sensible approach can only help as you move into the marching season.

Marching band season brings out a whole bunch of people asking for advice because so many kids just pound their chops into oblivion - they use more pressure to maintain seal in the mist of the jostling that happens during marching, they blow too hard, they crane their necks back, they play with their mouthpiece at the wrong angle for their teeth, etc. A couple of months of doing that without a smart approach in the practice room can wreak havoc on an embouchure.

If you can find her number, call her tomorrow. Seriously - don't put it off.

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is summer vacation time in the northern hemisphere. Start every day with 10 minutes of soft long tones (at least 30 seconds each), 10 minutes of easy lipslurs and 20 minutes of easy tunes like from a hymnbook. Every day-no exceptions. Take a glass of tap water with you. If your sound is a bit fuzzy, stop, take a sip, try again. Always take a big breath. Don't try to play high on the longtones or tunes. The whole idea is to build strength without twisting your face. Even if you do start to take lessons, keep this daily 40 minute routine. Longtones could be random notes or scales -important is running out of air with each note.

The reason that I posted the way I originally did: we get help cries this time of year a lot. Sometimes they are from those who are working hard but doing something VERY wrong, most of the time however, we have a priority of activities issue. Those that are working hard name the specific things that they are doing, they post answers to our questions quickly because they are very anxious. All the clues were there. I appreciate your honesty. Try that daily routine. I will say, stick with it even if you start taking lessons. With the exception of 3 months last year after an operation, I have played something very close to this every day since I was 20. It is not designed to build range or endurance, it is designed to insure the base, the foundation is strong upon which we build everything else.

Sidekick likes this.
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    run 20 miles a week...... read and absorb all that is posted,,, but as long as medically you can.. RUN

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Yes, keeping fit, especially aerobically fit, will help you in many ways, including your trumpet playing. I notice a huge difference in everything when I'm keeping to an exercise routine.

--bumblebee

7. stfnylim

stfnylim New Friend

Sep 8, 2014
    California
    Wow I never knew exercising would help!!! That's good to know. Thanks

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Exercize only helps if that time is not subtracted from your practice time..... Exercize is also good for developing attitude. It is also a visible committment to getting better.