I blew a bleb. This ever happen to you.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Miyot, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    When I was in High school I used pressure and high power air to play lead. Big mistake. Anyhow one day I am playing along and I just didn't feel right. My chest began to hurt. I figured I pulled something, it got worse. I ended up in the emergency room. The Dr. felt and squeezed along my lower neck, asked if I had been vomiting forcefully. I said no, but I played the trumpet and blew quite forcefully. He called in other Dr.s and nurses on the floor to look at me and had them push on my neck and about my lower shoulders. He told me to do so as well. I could feel a crackling weird feeling. I about freaked. If I understand this right I blew a bleb and air leaked from one of my lungs. I took some time off and had no more problems. I hear this has ended some from ever playing again. Ever hear of this.

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Goodness. Sorry to hear what you told us. I do know know what the word "bleb" means. I did a quick search and see the word "blister" used as a description.

Hope it goes away, and all is well.

3. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    All is well, that was 30 yrs ago. The word bleb my be incorrect. Anyhow I had ruptured a small air sac or maybe its called an aveolli or something like that. Weird wild stuff. Just wondered if anyone else had heard of such a thing.

4. B6L

B6L New Friend

Dec 3, 2003
    Its called a pneumothorax http://www.emedicinehealth.com/collapsed_lung/article_em.htm It has happened to me twice, both times when I was playing. the first time was right after a big lunch, I too would blow way to hard, take in as much air as I could fit then force it all out. I was doing glissandos and something just popped in my left lung. Pain in my chest and shooting down my left arm, i thought I was having a heart attack! I kept thinking I'm only 35 this cant happen to me! I'm the type of person that dosen't run off to the hospital at the drop of a hat (something that I'm sure will kill me one day) so I finished what i was doing at work, which included a recording (thats a whole other story) drove home and on the way had pay a toll and could not lift my left arm at all........long story short, went to the hospital and as soon as i told them i had pain in my chest I was seen right away, once they found I was not having a heart attack the took an x-ray and found my lung 50% collapsed! a VERY painful chest tube an 5 days in the hospital and everything was fine, or so I thought. About 2 years later (with a TOTAL new approach to the trumpet) I was playing something low and soft and it did it again! this time I went stright to the hospital, same deal, chest tube, but this time they went inside and scored up the outside of my lung to make it bleed then inflated my lung so it would stick to the inside of my chest cavity and heal that way 2.5 years later, no problem.
    You are right we have blebs on the tops of our lungs and they are a week spot, from what I have read they can give out at any time, I know playing trumpet the wrong way dosen't help.....nor does smoking!
    Feel free to write with any questions
    Nate

5. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Wow Nate. I didn't really expect any replys. I had heard from my High school teacher that he knew a trombone player who had to quit. It happened to him frequently. My problem only happened once and I didn't have a collapsed lung. Only air inside that the Dr. said would go away on its own. And it did. I hope you have no more problems. Weird wild stuff. When I was in High school I used excessive pressure and really blew. Now I am more controlled, have a much better sound and range without being excessive. Hope that never happens to me again. Good Luck
    Dave

6. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I'll never play a trumpet ever again... :-o

7. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    a trumpet buddy of mine from school just has a collapsed lung, right before a gig. he went to the hospital, i went to the gig. that was stressful night. needless to say, he keeps going back to the hospital with the same problem. he has to take a semester off of school. not sure what is going to happen to him. i feel really bad for him.

8. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    My worst nightmare......

9. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Wow, now I've scared myself. I guess some are prone to this happening.

10. johnmarkpainter

johnmarkpainter Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    You have to be careful. Once you are injured, you are prone to re-injury.
    I have a friend that has ruptured connective tissue in his neck and wears a brace to keep it from happening. He also has nerve damage in his face.
    GREAT player though.

Read this: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/439438_4

jmp