I bought my first trumpet!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
  2. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    Good luck with the horn.

You might consider getting a new teacher however.

Schwab likes this.
  3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Good luck with the trumpet! I actually think it's good for a teacher to encourage you not to spend your entire savings before you are sure that the horn is what you want to do. Stick with it and you will have justification for getting an even better horn!

4. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    Indeed. But "spend less than $200" is an invitation to buy a doorstop - a decent teacher might advise on a brand/what to avoid etc. IMHO, of course.:-)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    IMHO??. My teacher is 72 years old. He has been playing nearly all his life. He has been in Orchestra's and all. He knows his trumpet. I only bought a cheaper trumpet as i dont know if the trumpet is my instrument. Obviously i will get a good one when i play a bit longer. I mean how many years have you guys done?

6. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    Fair enough.:-) Hopefully your horn will be good enough to encourage progress instead of being so bad it puts you off.:thumbsup:

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

7. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Just keep practicing it is the key

8. stradguy

stradguy Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2007
    Montevallo,Alabama
    just a tip, i bought a cheap horn once and took the valve out to oil it nd when i put it back in it stuck going up or down for over 6 months, it was useless so i ended up selling it. If you like the trumpet after a couple months buy an old liberty trumpet or you can get a nice student level King off ebay for about $65+ shipping

9. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    so are you guys saying that this trumpet isn't a good one? I mean its one of its kind. Its a brand that only one company makes of. The sites says its good lol. I just started to play and i just want a trumpet for now of my own. So wat happens if i go n spend $1000 n then get sick of the trumpet? there goes $1000. But if you guys are saying its not a good one fair enough i assume you would know better because you have played longer probably. I mean its not always the price that make it good is it? This place is a wholesaler.

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    The price has nothing to do with whether an instrument is good. I'm sure your trumpet is fine for your current needs. I'm also playing on a $200 trumpet, and so are MFFan and at least a couple others (look for those of us with Barrington trumpets). It will be fine to get the fundamentals and will be no excuse for a bad sound or poor technique. You can get a beautiful sound out of almost any horn, if you practice.

When you do go for the next trumpet in your collection, a used pro-quality horn is a great value. At that time, you may want to get advice here. For now, ignore the nay-sayers and make sure you practice, and I hope you love playing the trumpet!