I bought my first trumpet!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 12, 2008.

1. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Hi, don't get discouraged by some of these comments. Likely a Chinese made horn from some manufacturer there and sold under the Marquez name. I like the ist valve adjustable ring feature. As long as the valves work well, it is tuneable and gets a decent tone, that's all you need to get started and find out if you want to stick with the trumpet, which we hope you do.
    I bought my Taiwanese Barrington "student" on clearance for less than you paid and am very happy with the quality and playability and have been playing since 1955 on a variety of quality instruments.

Hang in there, get acquainted with the horn and make your own judgements as time goes on.:-) Advice is also sound on the value of used King, Holton, Conn , Getzen, etc student models if in good condition.

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Hey there, hitman0042!

Playing the trumpet is a GOOD choice!!
    Starting of with a cheap trumpet is a WISE choice!!

I agree with what misty.sj sais, so; get practising
    and enjoy all the progress you will make!

Besides, I have been told from others that there are
    trp´s at half the price you´ve paid that are OK, most
    of them unknown brands from Asia.

Just GO FOT IT!!

misty.sj likes this.
  3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Sorry, should be "FOR" it.

4. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Plus if like the trumpet the more you save the sooner you can get a nicer horn

5. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Hitman:

What's the old proverb: Every journey begins with a first step?

I started on a Bundy. It had the tonal qualities of a boat anchor (and was just about as heavy), but it was a servicable horn, and I played the heck out of it. It's been mentioned before, but you'll learn a lot as you get better, and as you get better you should take every opportunity to try other horns and talk to more experienced players about their experiences.

Good luck!

Glen

misty.sj likes this.
  6. dwindham

dwindham Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2006
    I'd also second the idea of looking for a vintage pro horn next.

I've got my 8yr old starting out on a Getzen Capri Cornet I picked up for around $100 when a local music store when out of business. He sounds the same on it or any of my other horns.

Just getting something that can be serviced and will hold up and not frustrate you is really all you need to start.

I chose the getzen for my son due to its reputation for great valves. Sticky valves will drive any player crazy much less someone starting out.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Here is the Marquez website About Us page:
    Marquez Music, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Acoustic Guitar, Steel String Guitar - About Us

It seems to me that they are not trying to fool the public about their products (not an Image flugelhorn!), and there is every possibility the trumpet is OK for hitman. Remember that in Australia it is much more difficult and expensive to buy a trumpet, especially one made in the USA. So let's encourage him. Go, hitman, go!

misty.sj likes this.
  8. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    I'm thinking of up grading myself . I have four cheap trumpets which stick on me one less than the rest , thats the one I use most. It gets a little frustrating by times. I'm at about intermediate level , have you guys got any advice ?

9. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    Yer your right. Australia is expensive!. Trumpets range from $1000-$5000. As long as i can practice on it and proper music n notes come out, thats all that matters. Thanks for all the replys lol i was sitting here for 15min jst reading them all lol. When i went to America last Winter (American Winter) so xmas time. I found that there were huge differences in price in everything. Eg. You can get the best pair of Levi jeans for $50 in USA in Australia $150-$200!. But i understand USA is Jazz capital and therefore USA brass instruments would most likely be better. But then a again, i dont no. I havnt played a wide variety of trumpet sop i cant tell the difference. Anyway ill let you know how it goes when it comes. Oh by the way the trumpet comes with a 7c mouth piece. My teacher said 7c isnt very good, do oyu know any other size i should look out for?

10. mojojerry

mojojerry New Friend

Aug 7, 2008
    Hey Dwindham. How do you like your Yamaha 6335S? Jerry